Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

I’ve heard of people with Parkinson’s struggling to regulate body temperature. But it doesn’t seem to happen with everyone. Do you struggle with hot or cold flashes? Does it happen often, if so?

Clive Varejes
      Participant

Hi, no, no problems with that thus far.

Dave
      Participant

Yes, it’s like menopause all over again. Sometimes at night while sleeping I get severe shivering that’s so bad it’s painful. Doctors just look at me like I’m nuts.

Karla Burkhart
      Participant

Yes! I thought I was going crazy. I’ve never been overly sensitive to hot weather. In fact it has been a problem in the past because I wouldn’t realize I was overheating and I’ve gotten sick a couple of times in the far past. Now I can’t tolerate temperatures that a few years ago would have been just fine. Plus I am really having trouble with cold. I get cold so easily and suffer from air conditioning freeze when I am in public spaces. At night I seem to vacillate between too hot and too cold. There is never a “just right”.

Jo S.
      Participant

Karla’s reply pretty much mirrors my own experience. Sometimes I get so hot I want to scream. Then I put on the air conditioning and freeze. I get so cold that I find it painful to undress to take a shower. I shiver in the shower for at least ten minutes as I stand under the flowing hot water. I continually vacillate from too hot to too cold and back again. There’s rarely a “just right” temperature for me.

Sherri
      Participant

Yes I struggle with hot flashes as well as feeling so uneasy in the heat. It also makes me feel weak. I just have to sit down. I am also sensitive to cold and also don’t like waiting for the shower to get hot. It’s like that Goldilocks syndrome where it needs to be just right. I also noticed when I feel weak my blood pressure drops a lot. So frustrating!

Leslie
      Participant

Yes, but not very often. I’ve always been very hot natured but the hot flashes are very intense. They feel like when you open the oven door when it’s set on 500.

David Blacker
      Participant

Even though I live in a warm climate in Australia, I’ve had trouble keeping warm at times especially at night. I’ve been piling on the blankets whilst my menopausal wife has been burning up.

I recently read some articles describing how PD patients with REM sleep behavior disorder had a greater drop in night time core body temperature than controls, likely related to decay in the brain stem structures that control these things. I showed these to my wife and she bought me an electric blanket for my side of the bed; which has helped a lot !

David Blacker

Neurologist with PD

Rona
      Participant

Yes I struggle with hot flushes I’m 70 and never had menapausal symptoms earlier in life I have raynauds also so one min I’m freezing next I’m burning up

Jo S.
        Participant

Rona, I’m right there with you. I, too, have Raynaud’s and can totally relate to what you’re experiencing — freezing one minute and burning up the next. I wonder how many people with PD have Raynaud’s. When the MDS asks if I have numbing or tingling, I don’t know what to say because it’s really because of the Raynaud’s, not PD. Do your hands/fingers and toes/feet turn weird colors? If so, do they turn white when you press them and then red/purple again when you let go?

Susan Peters
      Participant

Yes. It just started a week or so ago. No cold flashes thought…as of yet.

Debbie McDaniel
      Participant

I never had hot flashes with menopause, but at age 71 I’m having terrible hot flashes!  The least little exertion and I’m sweating like crazy!  I did not attribute them to Parkinson’s symptoms until I saw this question!

Kate Rodrigues
      Participant

Yes I moved from Santa Cruz pre-Parky to Sacramento to be near my grandchildren. The triple digit summers are 🥵 sweltering. However I have re-discovered popsicles. And. I thank the Lord for A/C!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account