Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Do you struggle with anxiety and depression?

• Kenneth

February 22, 2024 at 2:40 pm

No i guess. But my sister used to. It was such a hard period

• Kate

February 25, 2024 at 5:44 pm

I know what you are talking about. My sister also had depression and it was a tough period for all of us. The main problem was she didn’t realize there was a real problem. I ended up reading about antidepressants on the Canadian pharmacy site https://www.canadapharmacy.com/ and talking to a doctor. The hardest part was to persuade her to go through the treatment. Fortunately, she agreed. It took several months of therapy and medications but she is doing much better now. I hope she won’t have the same condition again.

• Alfred Kramer

April 11, 2024 at 2:51 pm

It’s tough to see loved ones going through anxiety and depression. While I don’t personally struggle with it, I’ve seen how important it is to find ways to manage it effectively.

• Charles H Levin

April 23, 2024 at 11:17 am

I was diagnosed five years ago this June … Initially, sleep wasn’t much of a problem. I slept six hours and felt fine. (I’ve used a CPAP since 2005, long before my PD diagnosis.) My doc urged me to get seven. Over time, at my doc’s recommendation, I added 10mg of melatonin. Eventually I got to seven and even 7.5 and eight once in a while. That seemed to help but it wasn’t consistent.

Now I’m in a pretty rough cycle. I get up to pee and get back to sleep OK. But after the second visit to the bathroom, I’m often up for two hours (or for good). Naps help, but this is really disrupting my life. I’ve since added THC gummy (10mg THC/5mg CBD or CBN) and some Taurine. Seemed to help briefly but not really making a difference anymore.

I go to bed around 10-ish and lights out by 11 with plans to take my first c/l at 6 a.m. I never have trouble falling asleep (it’s never been a problem).

A few people mentioned Trazadone. Anyone having side effects?

Anyone trying Ambien or Xanax (or both as a cocktail)?

I’d also like to hear from anyone who’s tried L-Theanine, which my wife just found on the National Sleep Foundation web site … https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-aids/l-theanine-for-sleep

For now, I’m managing my other symptoms pretty well. I get plenty of high-intensity exercise (stationary bike, boxing) as well as dancing, tai chi. I rarely drink alcohol and make sure it’s not too close to bedtime if I do. Diet is mostly vegetarian and fish with occasional poultry and red meat (latter, while rare for me, is getting even less frequent as it worsens my constipation).

Editorial note: I tried Mannitol for a few months. It made me very gassy, and while I thought it was helping, ultimately, I found it didn’t. Further research and talks with my doc led me to realize it’s likely a Placebo Effect. A small-sample clinical study in Israel showed no positive results.

• Austin

April 23, 2024 at 4:23 pm

Charles, I am (have been) similar to you. (CPAP 25 years, same exact routine at night-easy to get to sleep up to pee, lay awake etc) in addition I was on Trazodone, but weaned off over a three month period at the recommendation of my neurologist who does not like to use Trazodone for PD patients.

Here is what is now working for me. No Trazodone. 1 g of melatonin at neurologist’s suggestion. (children’s dose – have to look for it) I read that melatonin was good for getting asleep but did not do much if anything for staying asleep. Then when I wake up and normally would lie awake I take another melatonin. Voila – I fall back to sleep!

It’s really beneficial to combat anxiety and depression to get a good night’s sleep.

• dmcconnaughay

April 23, 2024 at 5:45 pm

My wife’s neurologist picked up on her having active nightmares and anxiety, plus being forgetful. The neurologist watches her like a hungry hawk during her visits and from her observations and my wife and mine reported behaviors, put her on an antidepressant at a very low dose. It has been like night and day! Her anxiety symptoms have decreased significantly and she has been smiling more, and sleeping so much better.

Yet my wife says she didn’t “feel” depressed.

Granted we have a really compassionate and observant neurologist who has been a true gift, but perhaps describing symptoms that don’t seem “right” might help your doctor prescribe something.

• mia

April 27, 2024 at 11:46 am

My mother used to suffer from depression, but thanks to a timely visit to a doctor, I managed to get her out of it

Page 3 of 3