• Do you still travel?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on October 27, 2021 at 12:21 pm

For the longest time, my dad was a traveller. He loved to make his away across the globe, exploring all the sights and sounds that the planet has in store for him. But when he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, he became much more resistant to travel. It’s harder to maintain his regimen and stay consistent while he’s on the go. But I’m wondering if you still travel? If so, how do you balance travel with Parkinson’s management? If not, why not?

Rick Tabakin replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • nancy-crockett

October 28, 2021 at 3:08 pm

I was diagnosed in 2020 so I’m new to all this.  Covid kept us indoors.   We didn’t even travel locally.

Over Christmas we will go on a Cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.  The excursions have been selected for “level one” meaning we will be in buses or vans most of the time.   I think my strength and balance will be tested with the standing and the heat (eastern caribbean) but we won’t know until we try.  I will definitely take canes and extra water, sunscreen and a hat.  While on ship we can be as active as we choose.

I don’t want to give up on making memories.

• marlyne-wilder

October 28, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I have always loved to travel.  Since Parkinson’s diagnosis 4 years ago, however, i have not felt up to it.
      This year I planned a trip. My daughter (49), our best friend (50), and I did a girls’ 5 day trip to Disney World, 7 day trip including flying days.  It was decided I would rent a scooter because I could never do all the walking around the Parks. We had a great time!  Evenings we sat on the patio, discussed life (especially my Parkinson’s), laughed, cried, hugged, and bonded.  It was the most fantastic time for me emotionally!  Both girls monitored my medication times. We did not rush to the Parks first thing in the morning, instead took our time getting ready and kept a casual pace. My needs and comfort were a priority.

• Rick Tabakin

October 29, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Travelling is more difficult with Parkinson’s. Your body hurts more. If it is cold outside or “over air-conditioned”, my PD tremors are worsened. If my medication is delayed for whateer reason, my tremors are uncontrolled.
      That being said, I try to visit family at least twice a year. I take all the precautions I can think of and just deal with whatever comes my way.