Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you have any summer travel plans?

• krukar

May 12, 2022 at 5:53 pm

Hi Ally,

Fraya and I will travel to Tucson Arizona next Friday. It is a 230 miles east of Sedona our home. We have a niece and nephew there. Driving is easer for me to travel. In July we will fly to Alaska for our granddaughters wedding. Flying is more difficult because of mobility struggles. We have really enjoyed traveling in retirement but since our diagnosis it is more challenging. In October we will have a 11 day Staycation at a resort in Sedona. Mike

• ally

May 17, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Mike, those sound like really great trips! It will be so much fun to see your extended family and congratulations to your granddaughter and her fiance on their nuptials. 🙂 I wish you and Fraya very safe and enjoyable travels!

• rola

July 19, 2022 at 3:48 am

Hi there. Tbh, I know nothing better than summer camping. Cause, actually, it’s the only thing that can give me a feeling of complete rest after a hard year of work

• ally

July 19, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Rola, I am going camping for the first time since I was a kid in a couple of weeks and I’m really excited. Do you have any advice on how to make it a good experience?

• rola

July 20, 2022 at 5:38 am

I often go camping in tofino, because I actually live nearby. So, I guess it could be exciting to go there for you. Btw, have you ever gone camping? I’d highly recommend you to go cause the feelings you’ll eventually get are priceless. You know, it’s that exact moment when it’s better to try than to read. So, what are your plans for this summer? Have you already made some of them come true?

• mary-beth-skylis

July 20, 2022 at 10:21 am

Rola,
        I love camping. I’ve been exploring Glacier National Park over the past few days up in Montana. And I find it to be very grounding. What do you like about it?

• steve-r

July 21, 2022 at 2:37 pm

My family and I flew out to Denver to take in the sights (Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, Cliff Dwellings, ZipLining, White Water Rafting)  I actually went rafting on the class II and Class III rapids.  Didn’t go ziplining though because of the 200 foot climb uphill to the start of the line.  one problem was being on a window seat on the plane, I could not get up to stretch my legs on the 2 hour flight home.

• garrett-mcauliffe

July 21, 2022 at 4:06 pm

My brother says “life is hard already, why go camping?” I have done a lot of backpacking and hiking in my life but Parkinsons at this stage makes camping pretty daunting to me. I will appreciate your enjoyment vicariously!

• mary-beth-skylis

July 22, 2022 at 2:49 pm

That’s pretty funny, Garrett! I go camping because I like the simplicity of it. But I definitely understand how others might find it to be hard.

• krukar

July 21, 2022 at 4:59 pm

My wife and I are currently in Anchorage  where we had lived for a very long time. This morning I had breakfast with my retired Judge pal who was my partner in a court program that he created. During breakfast he informed me that his Son had been diagnosed with early on set Parkinson’s at 43. He is now 50. His wife also has Parkinson’s.

We came to Alaska to attend Our granddaughters wedding on the Kenai  Peninsula , the wedding Saturday was a thing of beauty. It went by without a hitch. We took them all to a family dinner last night which went extremely well.

I am discovering that Parkinson’s can be a major part of my life….but it is not the only thing.

Blessings,

Mike

• mary-beth-skylis

July 22, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Hi Mike,

I love Alaska. I took a trip out there last Fall, and I got to climb Matanuska. Very pretty.

How was the wedding?

• sharon-l-krischer

July 22, 2022 at 7:56 am

We went to Big Sky Montana for a week with our kids and grandchildren. I wrote two blog posts about Travel tips for people with Parkinson’s. If you are interested, go to my website twitchywoman.com

• mary-beth-skylis

July 22, 2022 at 2:47 pm

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sharing! I’m in Big Sky Montana right now. We had the chance to see Glacier, which was stunning. Did you make it all the way up there?

• krukar

July 22, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Mary Beth,

The wedding was great. Everyone had lots of fun. We will go up to Big Lake in the Ma Su valley for our last party then Saturday home to Sedona. My big problem is my stiffness which is on going and hard for me to ignore. It will be good to get back to my therapeutic routine.

Here it is colder and movement is more challenging. Blessings, Mike

• lamar-cartwright

August 24, 2022 at 8:52 am

I’m also invited to a wedding. Going with my family. I’m a little worried about the flight too, but I think we’ll be good. I also need to buy an outfit for my mom. I looked up several dresses.

• ally

August 26, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Hi Lamar, who is getting married? How far is the flight? That’s very nice that you’re going to help your mom with her outfit. Do you have yours picked out already?