Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you have any other medical conditions?

• john-william

June 28, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I have Gastroparesis (GP), which was diagnosed 9 months ago following my second hiatal hernia surgery. This chronic “paralyzed stomach” can be caused by damaging the Vagus nerve during stomach surgery, or it could simply be another symptom of PD. The one med they prescribe for GP can cause tremors so it conflicts with the PD meds. I’m trying to control GP daily nausea with a soft diet that is low fat and low fiber, which also conflicts with an ideal PD diet.

• bill-edisbury

June 28, 2022 at 5:12 pm

I have polycythaemia and essential thrompmycemia (of the MPN family) as well as parkinsonism no problem except for lack of mobility which is being addressed.

Very rare as one in several hundred thousand have both PD and ET together. They are blood related to bone marrow mutations.

Ffom Manchester UK

• beth-t-browne

June 28, 2022 at 6:28 pm

I have had Parkinson for 4 years. I have tremors and sleep issues the most. Balance is not real bad. I have lost my sense of taste, and it has caused me to not eat much. I am petite, and I only weigh 93 pounds. I lost 5 pounds when on the Leva/Dopa for two weeks. So nauseous I could not eat.

I also have a leaky heart valve. I have daily problems with blood pressure even thought I am on medication. I also have a partial collapsed lung, and a Bronchiectasis mass on another from constant sickness in my 80’s and part of 90’s.

I was told a month ago I need a shoulder replacement. I have bone rubbing bone on my left arm. But, I am just going to have the cortisone shots. Too old for to go through that and more pain. My osteoarthritis has cause my fingers to go different directions and pain at times in neck and back.

I live alone. My daughter is about 20 min away, but she is busy with teaching, husband, and sometimes helping her daughter is diabetes 1 and has something going on with one arm no doctor has been able to diagnose. She lives with her fiancé but sometimes has her mom go with her to new doctors. If I need my daughter, she will come. I still grocery shop, drive to the doctor’s, and light house cleaning. I have someone come once a month to do the heavy stuff, and my son and daughter pay for that for me.

• alan-berry

June 28, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Alan Berry

I have had type 2 diabetes for over 10 years. At all times controlled by diet. Also I have had rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, hands, arms and shoulders. Waiting on x- rays and ultrasounds for knees and shoulders. Medication – methotrexate. Incurable nerve damage both legs and arms. Diagnosed 5-6 years ago. Rheumatologist remains unclear whether pain is from RA, ND or PD. Frequent psoriasis mostly area of both elbows. Following heart attack w 3 stents and pacemaker consiidered higher than avberage risk for stroke. Medications include rosuvastatin. Many years depression & anxiety. Hospital 4 times, latest work absence 18 months leading to early retirement. Treatment over many years included at least 12 sessions electro convulsive therapy. Now controlled by cymbalta. Following surgery for prostate cancer urologist says I am higher risk for 2nd cancer.   Apart from all this I am almost perfect.

• stev

June 30, 2022 at 2:27 pm

I have CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia)also. It has not advanced enough to have to treat. I always thought it was related to the Parkinson’s.

When I was in the US Navy in my late 20s to early 30s. I went from naval weapons station at Yorktown, Va. The USS Independence where we all were eating, drinking and breathing diesel fuel 24/7. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with my PD.

I am now 67 and have been diagnosed with PD for approximately 7 years. Was wondering if anyone else had a similar history with PD.