• Do you drool?

Posted by Deleted User on August 29, 2019 at 8:39 am

One of the symptoms of PD is drooling while sleeping and during awake hours.   I end to drool at night sometimes, but not during the day?  Is drooling a problem for you?  How do you handle it?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • laura seymour

August 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm

I was given the diagnosis of PD a week ago today.  But, way before that, I noticed I had been drooling on my pillowcase at night.  I also thought I was not quite meeting all of my mouth when I’d take a drink, but now I think it was a form of drooling.  I have been reading a lot about PD and it’s mindblowing to see the many symptoms/problems I had are now explained by the diagnosis!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      August 30, 2019 at 5:43 pm

hi laura, i tend to blame everything on PD, it is a good scapegoat LOL

• laura seymour

August 31, 2019 at 1:26 am

Hi Jean, it sure is! Is there an article I should read that will give me a general idea of what this disease may bring? I know everyone is different and that there is no time schedule for various symptoms to appear. But, I would just like to be informed as I start this new phase of my life. Thanks so much!
    take care,
    laura

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 31, 2019 at 12:13 pm

hi laura, i am not aware of any one place to go to find out what possible symptoms can result from PD.  In addition to bradykinesia( slow movement), dystonia (rigidity and stifness) dyskinesia (uncontrollable body movement,  poor fine motor skills ( typing, writing), drooling, urinary incontinence, voice/swallowing issues, gait and posture issues can also be symptoms.  i have found these websites to be helpful:

https://www.davisphinneyfoundation.org/

https://www.apdaparkinson.org/

https://www.michaeljfox.org/

On the other hand, sometimes ignorance is bliss…

• laura seymour

August 31, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Thanks, Jean! I’ve got the general idea. You’re right about ignorance being bliss. This is probably all I need to know. I love the quote that you or Ally sent me about acceptance is not resignation. My new mantra!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 31, 2019 at 5:50 pm

i dont know if that was me that passed on that quote to you, but I heard it last week at PD summer School, but   it is a good mantra, mine is fight back with compassion:  https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2019/07/09/fight-back-compassion-kindness/

• Lou Hevly

September 16, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Yes, I drool. And my mouth hangs open when I observe anything interesting for very long.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      September 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm

lou

my mouth hung open when i observed anything interesting before i was diagnosed with PD lol

• Lou Hevly

September 17, 2019 at 2:01 pm

😉
        I was taught never to talk with my mouth full, but if I want to get a word in edgewise in this country (Catalonia) I have to grab any opportunity. So I used to be pretty good at it, but now with PD I’ve had to give it up.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 17, 2019 at 5:06 pm

LOL

• Shirley Cypher

November 2, 2019 at 6:37 pm

My husband used too before diag.  meds and speech therapy stopped it.  He had asperial pneumonia when he was diagnosed.  (spent a month in rehab due to pneumonia and pd.   Was on liquid diet then soft food when released.  went on to be able to eat any thing.  The speech therapy was major I think in stopping the drooling as the exercises strengthened the mouth and throat muscles.  He had serious drooling before diag.  Thought it was old age (86).  Ask your doctor about speech therapy.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 3, 2019 at 6:51 am

shirley

thankyou for sharing… I am planning to speak to my neuro about speech therapy this week for my speech and swallowing.

• Shirley Cypher

November 2, 2019 at 6:38 pm

Forgot to say his mouth stills hangs open most of the time. lol

• TimR

November 7, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Occasionally, perhaps once or twice a month.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 8, 2019 at 2:43 pm

tim, thats not too bad, it seems like this is happening more frequently with me now, especially during the day.