• John Citron

January 19, 2022 at 12:12 am

This is one of the meanest of the non-motor symptoms of PD!

My record is about 14 days as well and by then I’m a bit unnerved as I expect myself to explode!

I find though eating fruit such as apples, tangerines, pears, and grapes help the plumbing do what it’s supposed to do. To vary my diet a bit, I’ll throw in some trail-mix as well. I don’t like a lot of salt or sugar, so I get the plain kind with mixed nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and other dried fruit. The results are fairly consistent for me, and it tastes good as well.

• Regina

January 19, 2022 at 9:35 am

Hi John.  Please try 2 stool softeners each day, large green salad with an olive oil dressing and glycerin suppositories. A triple threat that keeps things moving along.  Keep in your daily routine.  Never go more than 5 days without a BMU.  Don’t want to wind up in the ER.

• Ruth Gravitt

August 18, 2022 at 11:13 am

I have found that large doses of vitamin C powder along with inulin to work although overdoing them can cause too many BMs.

• BobD

August 18, 2022 at 2:12 pm

3 double portions of Konsul during the day with lots of water. Glass of prune juice at bedtime, 2 glasses of water when I wake up. Magnesium every day. The only problem is I have to go several times all morning, but not constipated.

• Bert Shure

August 19, 2022 at 9:16 am

Friends:

Watch this video. This doctor is amazing. He describes my symptoms exactly!

https://youtu.be/bOnkPjmnMh0

• Mike Simmons

February 28, 2023 at 8:02 pm

Constipation used to be a huge problem…yes, I said used to be. Here’s my solution: every morning (almost, rarely miss a day) before I eat or drink anything else, I do a salt water flush, very effective, BUT, and this is important too, I use Costco Kirkland brand Psyllium Fiber every night. This combination has made constipation a thing of the past for me, and I’m very thankful for that.

Do a search for Yogacharya J. Oliver Black, and then click on Salt Water Cocktail in the top menu (no, you don’t have to meditate to do this)….another remarkable benefit from doing ‘the salt water’ daily, is it helps tremendously in preventing colds, etc. Try to drink the salt water cocktail in 5 minutes or less.

God Bless, hope this helps.

• JB

March 2, 2023 at 3:25 pm

Its amazing how many different things for Constipation help so many people. It’s great that so many things do help. My husband is 60 and has had constipation issues for 15 years now, he was diagnosed when he was 38.

What works perfectly like a clock for him now, every 3 days he gets total movement and emptying is the following:
    Exercises every day, and drinks a lot of water throughout the day
    He ats a lot of fruit, from Prunes to apricots, berries, bananas, apples, pawpaw) But we have found on testing, that when he stops these, it doesn’t change anything.
    Takes Colace Regular strength stool softener – 2 capsules per day (morn and evening)
    Fruit tea with Senna Leaf – 1 Tablespoon of leaves (has to be leaves as they are pure and organic and stronger than buying just tea bags that do not have the strength) and he drinks that in the afternoon and nighttime before bed.

It works like clockwork. We have found on testing – that it’s the Senna leaf that is keeping him regular. All the additional things are mainly helpful and healthy, but the Senna leaf is the absolute necessity for him.

Hope that helps if someone needs something different to try.

• Mary

April 12, 2023 at 10:47 am

Thank you all this wonderful information. I have to find ways to help my 85 year old mother who was diagnosed with a form of Parkinsonism. We are having an issue with the constipation, and this info gives me ideas on how to do that.  She lives with me and I’m her caretaker.

• Yekim7676

August 31, 2023 at 1:30 pm

Given that constipation is significanty non-motor, it might be a good idea to try stimulation in the rectum either with a well-placed finger and/or with a well-placed vibrator. I regularly use a digit when stool softener doesn’t work but haven’t tried a dildo/vibrator. I noticed a reference in a Chinese journal to a vibrator and it seemed to work.
    Alternatively. clinical electro stimulation might be worth a try. Feedback invited.

• Cathy

September 1, 2023 at 10:50 am

My husband has suffered with horrible constipation for 12 years since his PD diagnosis. Tried stool softener, fiber additives, lots of fluids, still only 1 sometimes 2 movements a week with a lot of pain which resulted in developing bi-lateral hernias from straining. We’ve finally found a good formula for him:

He takes a prescription of Trulance ( used mainly for IBS), prune juice, applesauce, V8 juice and lots of water everyday and now goes almost every other day with less discomfort and straining.
    Cathy M

• Edward Fritz

September 1, 2023 at 11:42 am

I had constipation briefly a few months ago. My personal trainer gave me an old home remedy his mom used: WARM apple juice before going to sleep, and upon waking the next morning. That itself seem to help a lot. But I think what’s worked even better was when I went on a popcorn binge. I love kettle corn, and I eat at least one bag per day that I microwave, sometimes two. I use the Orville Redenbacher brand. Between that, and exercising almost every day, my constipation has disappeared! I now have at least one easy bowel movement every day.

• Wobblygirl

September 5, 2023 at 7:01 pm

One green kiwi fruit every day works for me!

• David

September 12, 2023 at 2:44 pm

In addition to eating lots of fruit and vegetables and salads I also take Triphala (a mixture of 3 herbs from India) in the morning and again at bedtime. Some people love the flavor and some people hate it. I myself do not like it so I put it in the capsules myself. As long as I take it everyday I have decent bowel movements.

• Maria in KY

September 19, 2023 at 3:06 pm

I’m grateful to have discovered and integrated the first 3 recommendations from this article into my day. I have come close but have not had to resort to an enema yet, thank goodness but I have one in my home in case that day comes. To be honest, the idea of resorting to an enema helps me be better about eating fruits, veggies, nuts/grain and lots and lots of water and exercise.

Maria

• Nonnie

September 22, 2023 at 8:57 am

Has anyone heard of “The Constipation Cocktail?” I know it’s prunes and applesauce, but I can’t remember the third ingredient.

• Robert

October 22, 2023 at 5:29 pm

wheat or oat bran

• Kenneth

October 29, 2023 at 12:03 pm

When I had such problems a doctor of mine recommend me to take senokot from canadian pharmacy because any others were just simply not for me and u know all that stuff and stuff. Have to say that medicines are really good guys. Highly recommend!

• Ronald Worby

November 6, 2023 at 9:03 am

<div>Wake up (3:30 am)</div>

-16 oz. Water first thing after waking

2hrs after waking

-8 oz. of warmed prune juice

-16 oz room temperature water

– 8 oz. Coffee

The day

(Miralax 1/2 dose a day or as needed)

-16 oz. Coffee

– 40 oz water throughout day

– fiber caplets

The key is to stay hydrated!!!

• PDfriend

January 9, 2024 at 12:51 pm

I have a friend with Parkinson’s who suffers from constipation and has told me for months how he is working to rid stool softeners from his system. I cannot find any info on the topic and don’t know enough about Parkinson’s to offer any advice. I did get him to describe his situation on November 4, 2023 and will include what he wrote below. He is still suffering the same symptoms now. I told him that I would post his summary so it contains no personal info. The remainder of this message contains exactly what he wrote. Any advice or comments are welcome.

> I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s 6 years ago. My doctor prescribed sinemet, but did not give me any paperwork about the med. Nearly a year later, I was struggling with constipation. It was over a year after starting sinemet that I finally learned that sinemet causes constipation. Over the course of a few years, numerous visits to urgent care and around a dozen medications, I went through considerable hardship in my effort to clear out my constipation. I’ve had to increase my sinemet intake from 3 to 4 and then 5 tablets a day.

> Two years ago, I tried Metamucil fiber, which proved to be quite effective on the sinemet. At that point, I had narrowed down my meds to suppositories for my daily food poop and stool softener. I took the CVS stool softener until a year ago when I realized that, after a reduction of my constipation from the fiber, it was getting worse again. It was then that it became clear that my constipation was due to the stool softener.

> Since then and after having taken over 1,000 stool softener capsules which had stored up in my body, I’ve nearly cleared it all out. I used various exercises, 3 suppositories daily and a healthy diet in the process. The stool softener is heavy and sticky, making it hard to poop out. Today I have a relatively small amount in my body, but find it very hard to clear out. It gets into my sinus cavities, causing dehydration. I can poop out small quantities of the stool softener. One serious side effect is my weight loss from keeping my digestive tract clear to allow the stool softener to ooze down. The best food for digesting food is kale, especially the stalk.

> I’m close to getting the last of the stool softener out, but am more debilitated than ever in doing so. Is there anything that will help me to clear out the last of the stool softener?

• Bill Keller

November 7, 2023 at 6:11 pm

I have an apple every night, and my poops are fluffy and sweet smelling 🙂

• PDfriend

January 9, 2024 at 1:09 pm

I posted comments from a friend with Parkinson’s as a reply to a post from November 6, 2023 above. I see now that I probably should have just posted it here. You can read the description from my friend with Parkinson’s in the post above. Any advice or comments are welcome, above or here. Thanks.

• Cap1952

January 9, 2024 at 2:47 pm

I have the familiar symptoms all have described. My primary care doctor mentioned using Linezz, a drug that is used to treat chronic constipation. Anyone have experience with this?

• Kathy Bloomberg-Rissman

January 23, 2024 at 3:39 pm

Yes. My GI doctor had me to a cleanse as if I was going to have a colonoscopy, then start taking Linzess. The literature says it takes about 6 weeks to be working at full strength. It did nothing for me. I was pooping less, the stools were. still rock hard balls. I stopped taking it and my bowel function has improved- same composition but more frequent. I hope you have a better result.

• Gerald McCarty

January 25, 2024 at 2:23 pm

On my last bought with constipation, my step daughter nurse recommended drinking a Crapachino. It’s warm prune juice with a bit of butter. The taste is not too bad. It took 2 to get things moving, but it worked in the end, so to speak.

• Robert

January 27, 2024 at 5:11 am

Hi all

I used to suffer terribly with this problem and tried everything I came across as a potential “cure” but I never found one until I was introduced to Sean Casey RD, CSCS of caseperformance.com

He calls himself a Sports Nutritionist but he is so much more than that! He lives in the USA and I am in the UK so all our contact and consultations have been via email or Video Link. During my first consultation Sean took details of my life style, eating habits, supplements, medication and my Parkinson’s journey so far. His initial concern was to cross reference my medications with my supplements to ensure there was no conflict. At the same time he was looking at my diet. He followed up with a detailed eating plan and a complete review of my supplement regemenleaving almost nothing unchanged! Wow! Is he ever good at what he does, within a few months of sticking to his regimen my constipation was almost completely gone and, I don’t know if this is my imagination or not, my mind seems much clearer. I don’t know if I am allowed to do this on the forum but, if anyone wants to contact him his email is [email protected] or you can contact me and I will put you in touch with him. I suppose I should also tell you there is no business relationship between him and myself other than I trust him to advise me on diet, exercise and supplementation completely.

• David

January 30, 2024 at 4:32 pm

After reading about mannitol on this thread I decided to try it. It worked great until I started having diarrhea so I cut back to 1 1/3 tsp once every 2 days and it works great. One other thing I noticed is that my drooling has almost gone away.

Page 2 of 2