Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Using Our Forums Being more positive with the diagnosis of PD

• Being more positive with the diagnosis of PD

Posted by David Blacker on June 9, 2021 at 8:16 am

I’m increasingly interested in improving the way doctors deliver the diagnosis with more sensitivity and understanding and putting PD into a much more positive perspective. The 30 days of PD story by Geoff Evans demonstrates how quality of life can paradoxically be improved (at least for a while),  with the diagnosis of PD. Adopting a healthy lifestyle, reducing stress and getting out and doing the things you’d always planned to do but never got the time to do are all possible. It sounds like his general practitioner was tremendously inspiring and sensitive; sharing her own experience with PD. I have found this a very powerful thing to share with my own patients. It would be great to hear of other examples like Geoff, so I can persuade my colleagues to be more positive.

Unfortunately, I also am aware of many examples where the diagnosis was delivered poorly.

Best wishes

David Blacker

Neurologist with PD

Perth, Western Australia

Krukar replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Krukar

November 29, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Parkinson’s is a tough condition no doubt.

That is the reality, it is hard to minimize

this condition. Medical professionals have got to be truthful.  But I have a choice. It is my battle. My Parkinson’s does not dictate my life.

Doctor’s can only give me options. It is up to me how I cope. Blessings, Mike