Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s ANYBODY GET THE COVID 19? HOW DID IT GO?

Tagged: ,

• ANYBODY GET THE COVID 19? HOW DID IT GO?

Posted by rcb1040 on December 9, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Howdy folks.

My assistant just survived a very tough go with the COVID 19 virus.  Pretty scary.

Anyway, I am wondering if any of my fellow Parkinson’s travelers have been caught by this COVID 19 virus.  And if so, how it went?

My GP has told me because of some lung problem history that I am one of those that the doctors don’t know what to do with if I am caught by this COVID thing.  I evidently have some scarring in my lungs from childhood asthma bronchitis pneumonia whatevers.  That, plus the Parkinson’s compromised autonomic issues with clearing of the throat and clearing out the breathing tubes and such could be a bad combination if the COVID 19 virus was to catch me.  But that is just me.  I am not sure this is a common issue for most Parkinson’s people.

By the way, my assistant and I are both over 65 years old, to put some perspective on this.

Any info would be helpful for me to discern what should be or perhaps should not be a concern for me.

Thanks as always for your continuing openness to sharing with your fellow Parkinsons travelers.

Robert C

rcb1040 replied 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • excalibur07

December 10, 2020 at 3:38 pm

I really want to know how will COVID19 GO and will we weak against Corona virus?

I am scarrying and nervous about it

can anybody tell their experience if infected?

• john-bredenkamp

December 11, 2020 at 1:26 am

Hi Robert, thanks for not only sharing your story but also for highlighting the dangers Covid 19 poses for your fellow PD travelers. I thankfully have not been affected/infected by Covid that I’m aware of. I too am concerned that at age 70 I’m “at risk” anyway, but have over the years often had very serious bronchitis during the flu season. I think we Parkies need to err on the side of caution and do all the basics right: sanitise, wear your mask and social distance – keep away from groups in especially confined spaces. Keep safe!

• rcb1040

December 15, 2020 at 4:59 am

Thanks Cemal and John for your thoughts.

I agree that thoughtful carefulness is a good plan for these times.

It does seem from the sparse response to this topic that us PD people do not seem to be COVID magnets at least.

That’s a good thing.

PS.  Is it just me, or is anybody else as tired as I am of 2020?

I am looking forward to a fresh new year in a couple weeks.

Robert C

• beth-t-browne

December 15, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Hi Robert,

I am 83, diagnoised this year, but we think I already had it a year. Like you I have pretty much the same problems with my lungs. Got Whooping Cough when I was 2. I moved 2-1/2 years ago to be closer to my daughter. It is only 60 miles north of where I lived, but I have had serious allergies that turn into lung problems 3 times this year. I have to go on a Zithro pack to clear it up. And in Sept that didn’t work, so a 6 day of steroids, high I hate.

I have had to grocery shop and go to doctor appointments and I live in an apartment that has shut everything down. I wash my hand everytime I go get mail and to the garage. I have had two COVID tests this year, as I wasn’t sure it if was my lunch, and both were negative. As I write this, I woke this morning with what appears to be my allergies again. I have been using my steroid inhaler 2x a day.

Anyway, stay as safe as you can and I wish you the best.

Beth

• beth-t-browne

December 15, 2020 at 2:31 pm

Hi Robert,

I am 83, diagnoised this year, but we think I already had it a year. Like you I have pretty much the same problems with my lungs. Got Whooping Cough when I was 2. I moved 2-1/2 years ago to be closer to my daughter. It is only 60 miles north of where I lived, but I have had serious allergies that turn into lung problems 3 times this year. I have to go on a Zithro pack to clear it up. And in Sept that didn’t work, so a 6 day of steroids, which I hate.

I have had to grocery shop and go to doctor appointments and I live in an apartment that has shut everything down. I wash my hand everytime I go get mail and to the garage. I have had two COVID tests this year, as I wasn’t sure it if was my lungs, and both were negative. As I write this, I woke this morning with what appears to be my allergies again. I have been using my steroid inhaler 2x a day.

Anyway, stay as safe as you can and I wish you the best.

Beth

• garrett-mcauliffe

December 15, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Somehow I lost my first response. I have Covid as there’s another rocksteady boxing participant. I suspect I got it at the Y when I went to rocksteady boxing, ironically to help my Parkinson’s. I was short of breath and was hospitalized for three days and was on a breathing oxygen machine. What is important is that the virus has exacerbated all of my Parkinson’s symptoms. At times I can’t stop the tremor in my leg. An article about Covid and Parkinson’s they mentioned that you have to take extra Levodopa during the virus. I hope there are no long-term effects. I was scheduled for DBSFor late January but because of the Covid increase it has been postponed. I’ve been waiting six years to get Dbs. So in some I am feeling miserable with a combination of Covid and Parkinson’s joining forces. Feeling lousy and getting this double whammy is daunting. Call vid will eventually go away but Parkinson’s won’t. So I see webinars on a DAVIS Phinney website and see him 20 years after diagnosis and Michael J. Fox longer than that and I know I can plow through this. That’s the beginning of my story anyway.

• rcb1040

December 15, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Beth and Garrett

Thanks for your stories.

I am an allergy person too Beth.

Garrett.  So the COVID caught one of us PDers. You seem to be of the type to have decided to not be a victim of the PD visitor who decided to never leave.  So you know you can get through a visit by a tourist like the COVID.   Good example for the rest of us.  I hope your story keeps on being a visit by a tourist who will move on after a bit.

Best regards,

Robert C