• Posted by Ally on October 29, 2020 at 7:33 pm

The days are getting colder and shorter, and opportunities to leave the house for daily walks or outdoor visits with friends are quickly dwindling. Soon the snow will be here. I’m already starting to feel the negative effects of the changing seasons – I’m a lot drowsier throughout the day and staying motivated when it’s grey and miserable outside is proving to be a challenge. There is only so much Netflix I can watch!

Does anyone have any suggestions for winter indoor self-care ideas?

Jo S. replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jo S.

November 3, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hi, Ally. I’m definitely feeling the winter blues and it’s not even officially winter yet! The time change threw me way off balance, and I’m still not on an even keel. One thing I’ve been trying is a “happy light,” which is supposed to help with mood and sleep during these shorter, darker days. I have also stocked up on books (a good change from Netflix!) and have sorted out an indoor exercise plan (even though it’s hard to stay motivated). Oh, and soups … I’ve stocked the pantry with them! There’s nothing quite as warming and satisfying as a hot bowl of soup in the winter.

• Ally

November 3, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Thank you for replying, Jo! I’ve been making a lot of crockpot meals lately – stews, soups and chilis – because they’re so comforting on these dark, dull, cold days! What is on your reading list this winter? I am finishing Untamed by Glennon Doyle right now and just finished Ready Player One, which was a book club pick that I didn’t expect to enjoy but ended up reading until the wee hours of the morning because the story was so compelling! (A little too close to reality though in some cases!)

• Jo S.

November 10, 2020 at 3:54 pm

I’ll have to check out those books, Ally! Right now I’m reading Waking by Matthew Sanford. If he can overcome the obstacles life threw at him, I think I can cope with PD. 🙂 I have so many books here that I need to read. Unfortunately, my memory has been flagging lately, and I can’t recall whether I’ve read certain books or not. On the upside, at least I don’t have to buy new ones for a while! 🙂

• twok

November 7, 2020 at 7:45 am

Ally, I feel as you described…maybe we are part momma bear and need to hibernate.  It will be a challenging covid winter.  It helps me to stay connected to the PK community, there are new interesting webinar opportunities, e.g. Parkinson’s Foundation, and Davis Phinney, as well as MJFOX organizations.

Best of luck!  Soups speak to warmth and comfort; enjoy.