Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Winter footwear and other concerns

• Winter footwear and other concerns

Posted by Ally on December 1, 2020 at 10:55 am

We got our first big snowfall in Toronto today! Has it started snowing where you live?

What precautions will you take to keep from falling on the snow and ice this winter? For example, do you wear specialized footwear or use a walker or cane to support you when you go outside? If you have driveway or walkway, do you still clear the snow yourself or does someone do it for you?

What other tips and advice do you have for getting through the winter months safely?

Ally replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Karla Burkhart

December 1, 2020 at 3:42 pm

I have special cleats that hook onto my boots for slippery days. They have been worth their weight, which isn’t much, in gold. I also use walking sticks quite often.

• Ally

December 3, 2020 at 7:15 pm

What is the brand, Karla, and where did you buy them?

• fakhiuddin ahmed

December 1, 2020 at 6:48 pm

I would not advise snow clearing for elderly folks. One fall resulting in a hip fracture may be extremely dangerous depending upon your age and general fitness. Many places have free services for elderly or disabled people in N.Y. maybe yours does too. sorry for this pessimistic opinion.

• Ally

December 3, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Not a pessimistic opinion at all, Fahkhiuddin – you’re talking about reality! Where I live there is a program called  Snow Angels, which pairs volunteers with elderly people and people with disabilities during the winter months. I think it’s a great idea, as professional snow removal services can often be prohibitively expensive.

• Laura

December 1, 2020 at 6:49 pm

I try to wear a flat book with traction rubber soles, to help with slipping. My husband shovels the snow,  if it snows when he’s at work I just stay inside. I don’t use cane or walker on the snow, I don’t think they would help me from going down if I slipped, a family member or friend will help me to the car, that’s the safest for me.

• Ally

December 3, 2020 at 7:12 pm

I’m glad you have people to help you get around safely in the winter, Laura. 🙂