Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

My Dad recently told me that he has woken up in the middle of the night punching the air or battling a nemesis of some kind. The nightmares worry him because he doesn’t want to hurt my Mom. Why do you think Parkinsons patients have nightmares? Is this symptom possibly associated with medication? And have you learned how to manage this issue?

Roy
      Participant

I have had nightmares similar to your dad’s for many years, way before I knew I had PD. Therefore, I do not believe they are caused by medication.

Daniel Best
      Participant

My dad acted out violently in his sleep long before his PD diagnosis.  So I agree with the other responder that I don’t believe it’s the medication

Steve
      Participant

Likely due to REM Behavior Disorder which is thought to be both prodromal to PD as well as symptomatic of PD. Caused by loss of domaminergic cells in the substantia nigra of the brain.

Steve
      Participant

Melatonin and Clonazepam are cited as symptom treatment.  Injury to bed partners is a concern and often drives people to seek help.

Jack edmonston
      Participant

I’ve had vivid nightmares and have acted some of them out.  Tried to crawl out the window,.  Up a wall.

Punched my wife.

Here’s the story: https://www.healthline.com/<wbr />health/vivid-dreams-causes#<wbr />causes

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account