Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Which tools do you find most helpful in the management of Parkinsons? Why?

• Which tools do you find most helpful in the management of Parkinsons? Why?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on January 16, 2023 at 12:13 pm

Last year, I came upon a few different adaptive clothing brands. They provided shirts that are easier to close than conventional shirts. They also have pants with magnetic closures and slip on shoes that look like they’re laced. After trying a few different products, my dad quickly became a fan of the shoes. He loved the look, support, and simplicity of putting them on. And I’m curious about your experience with adaptive tools. 

Which tools do you find most helpful in the management of Parkinsons? Why?

vickie-paul replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • june-scott-brining

January 17, 2023 at 10:38 am

My husband has a plate guard to stop him pushing food off his plate. Also a particular shape of glass \_/ which he finds easier to drink from. They have a heavy base and embossed bees on the sides which help too as they are less likely to slip (bought from Waitrose/John Lewis). He also has a travel mug which opens all round – difficult to explain – search for Circular & Co leakproof mug to see what I mean. He found the ones with a single opening difficult but he does also have eyesight problems so this is more relevant for him. The Alexas we have in most rooms enables him to call me without pushing buttons. Sky remotes now have voice activation but as he couldn’t see where the button was we super glued a “nurdle” onto it. He has a bed loop to help him sit up and a whole host of OT equipment. His trousers have velcro closers as do his shoes. We also have Snoozle slide sheets for the bed and car – brilliant to help with moving. I am sure we have other things but all the above have helped. Xxx

• heidi-hoschka

January 17, 2023 at 8:49 pm

What are these adaptive clothing brands?

• sherman-paskett

January 17, 2023 at 9:26 pm

Several years ago I started keeping a spreadsheet in which I record when and what symptoms occur, when I take my meds, when I eat and about how much I eat. This helps a lot when it comes time to talk with the doctor about a med change. It doesn’t take much effort; I use my phone to record the data and create graphs on the laptop before I go to see the doc.

• vickie-paul

January 21, 2023 at 7:18 am

Two things, my walking poles, and my Hollywood bed with an open frame of welded pipes along the back that I use to pull myself up.

The poles really help with balance, take up minimal space, and are inexpensive enough to have several pairs around the house. My problem is after sitting awhile everything freezes up and I need the poles for the first 10 steps or so. I’m scared of walkers, maybe comfortable with the poles because I used them for hiking back in the day.

People react to the poles mostly neutral to negative. I stop and talk to the positives. Last week a woman walked up out of the blue and said she tried them but not for her. Thanks for sharing!