• What do you struggle with the most?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on January 18, 2021 at 7:10 pm

It seems like every day is different when you have Parkinsons. On some days, you might be able to run around the block. On others, you might struggle to get out of bed. My Dad tells me that flexibility is one of the things that’s hardest for him to overcome. So, he spends the mornings stretching to combat the stiffness. What do you struggle with the most?

Garrett McAuliffe replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jo S.

January 19, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Indeed, every day with PD is different and unique. My worst struggle changes from day to day, week to week. Right now, I’d say that constipation and digestive issues along with insomnia/fractured sleep are my worst struggles. However, I’m dealing with a fair amount of mid-term memory loss, which is quite upsetting. I can remember things that happened recently and those that occurred a long time ago, but there is window of time that’s a blank for me. Sometimes my husband can shake a memory loose by filling in some helpful information, but often even that doesn’t help. It’s all rather unsettling and frightening.

• Charles Schiller

January 21, 2021 at 3:21 pm

Balance is my biggest issue although interrupted sleep is a problem too. I’m newly diagnosed, last Spring, so I’m early stage. I turn 78 next week, am a widower, live and, of necessity, must be self sufficient since there’s nobody to help me. I go for intense PT twice a week, an hr each, and work with a private trainer for an hour a week. Balance exercises are emphasized. I’m very aware of what’s coming although not all of us will have the same difficulties.

• Garrett McAuliffe

January 21, 2021 at 10:32 pm

It is clearly tremors for me. My leg gets achy and jumps around when my meds are wearing off and it last for 45 minutes or so, depending on whether there is stress. I can’t do anything useful when I am in the off state. My wife asked me to prepare for a window and also to check our credit card account when I was off today and I couldn’t do them effectively. So I go to my “meditation room,” And practice mindful breathing to an audio narration. So tremor and foggy brain and a feeling of anxiety that comes with it or combination of symptoms that occur all day off and on. I’ve had Parkinson’s for at least 15 years at this point.