Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ What are some of your favorite parts of caregiving?

• What are some of your favorite parts of caregiving?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on September 7, 2023 at 8:33 am

Caregiving can be extremely challenging, making it difficult for all parties involved to get the help that they need. But it comes with some beautiful highlights, as well. For example, my parents have found a renewed sense of loyalty and partnership amidst my dad’s Parkinson’s struggles. And I’m curious to hear about some of the positive sides of caregiving that you’ve experienced. 

What are some of your favorite parts of caregiving?

Ally replied 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lucinda

September 7, 2023 at 3:09 pm

Because I am the patient, currently, I must go back to my childhood when I would help my great grandma care for my great grandpa. My favorite memories were of playing checkers with him to entertain him. My understanding is that he had won some championships in times past. He didn’t always finish each checkers game with me as he, of course, tired easily, but he never lost a game.

• Ally

September 19, 2023 at 4:33 pm

Hi Lucinda, that’s a very special memory to have of your grandpa. Thank you for sharing. Is there anyone you play checkers with today?

• Lucinda

September 21, 2023 at 2:48 pm

I wish…

• Ally

September 27, 2023 at 3:43 pm

*hug* I’m sorry, Lucinda.

• Wendy

September 28, 2023 at 4:05 pm

Hello, I am my husband’s full time caregiver. There isn’t a single aspect of our lives unaffected by his Parkinson’s disease. It is at times stressful, isolating, scary and sad. Caring for each other is also a natural part of our love, having been married over 50 years. There’s an intimacy in sharing every detail, working through the symptoms each day to make him comfortable. We celebrate small accomplishments, such as a walk around our cul-de-sac, going out to dinner with friends, joining family for visits.

Being Glenn’s caregiver is a quiet joy for me. A privilege despite the challenges.

• Ally

October 3, 2023 at 4:27 pm

Hi Wendy, thank you for sharing your perspective and experience. It’s a beautiful testament to love and marriage. I’m sure Glenn is grateful every day to have found such a loving and dedicated life partner, and I can tell you feel the same way about him. <3