• University Research Project – Understanding PD

Posted by carmen-he on April 23, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Hi there everyone!

I’m in my fourth and final year of studying Industrial Design at Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand, and I am undertaking my honours project surrounding Parkinson’s disease.

My project is to focus on developing a design solution for PD patients that helps improve their quality of life by restoring their independence in completing an everyday task.

This task could include things like walking, cooking, eating, writing, etc. though right now, I’m in the stage of researching what the real key issues most apparent amongst the PD community are.

I’m having a fair bit of trouble trying to get into contact with people locally with Parkinson’s in order to understand the disease first hand, so I was hoping that coming to these kinds of forums would help!

If anyone would be willing to conduct an interview with me, answer a few questions, or share some of their experiences with PD, it would be greatly appreciated and a huge help for my research project!

Many thanks,

Carmen

ally replied 4 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 23, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Carmen, good post.  Feel free to pvt. message me.   I also write a column for this website which chronicles my PD journey, perhaps you might find something helpful:  https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/category/slow-is-the-new-fast-a-column-by-jean-mellano/

• ally

April 23, 2019 at 7:59 pm

I should’ve read this before posting my previous comment! Thanks for the background on your project, Carmen. Have you been able to connect with many people with PD so far, either in-person or online? Have you come across any surprising findings in your research so far?

• carmen-he

April 23, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Hi Ally,

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to talk to any people with PD in my project apart from Jean and yourself! I’ve reached out the organisation here in New Zealand but unfortunately have had no replies. I have interviews scheduled with PD researchers locally but they offer more of a scientific side of Parkinson’s which is not ideal. I’m hoping more to talk to either people with PD or with families/supporters as this offers my project a more accurate insight into how it affects people. I’m possibly looking in the wrong places to find these people in New Zealand!

• ally

April 25, 2019 at 7:05 pm

That’s too bad, Carmen. I hope you can find some participants in this community. (Full disclosure: I don’t have PD, I just moderate this forum.) Have you tried reaching out to charities and awareness organizations for PD or using Facebook/Twitter and other social media to find participants? I’m sorry I can’t be more help!