• The benefits of meditation

Posted by ally on January 4, 2022 at 5:56 pm

Do you meditate? Do you notice any benefits when you do? That’s the subject of a recent column by Dr. C, which you can listen to as a flash briefing here.

What do you think of meditation? Do you practice it? Was it challenging for you to find a form of meditation you can stick with? If you’re a regular meditator, what has helped you develop a consistent meditation routine/habit?

ally replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • charles-h-levin

January 6, 2022 at 2:14 pm

I meditate nearly every day. I’ve been doing it for 11 years, which is eight years before my official diagnosis (docs have credibly shown that my PD symptoms started in 2007 or earlier; it’s complicated) ….

As for PD, I suspect that meditation helps to lower stress. Meditation is widely recognized in the healthcare community as beneficial. All my docs endorse it.

If you are skeptical of meditation, read “Ten Percent Happier” by Dan Harris, an ABC news correspondent and anchor. The book is a memoir of his journey to discovering the benefits of meditation and becoming one its biggest proselytizers. It’s written in plain English, laced with lots of humor and never devolves into a lot of New Age silly speak.

• ally

January 6, 2022 at 6:11 pm

Thanks, Charles. What kind of meditation do you practice? Do you practice for long periods of time or just a few minutes at a time? I have a hard time with meditation and I’m always curious about how others who enjoy and practice meditation approach it.