• Posted by Susanne Rheault on February 9, 2021 at 10:33 am

I am five years into having PD at age 73. Previously I was a very strong athlete, biking, hiking, skiing etc. I have had to give up biking because of balance issues.  I want to connect with anybody who is still skiing despite PD and learn from their experiences. I’m primarily talking about Nordic skiing is supposed to downhill. Any connections most appreciated.

Susie

Susanne Rheault replied 3 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • amy

February 9, 2021 at 3:08 pm

I still ski–both Nordic and downhill! I’m just very cautious–stick to green and easy blue for downhill, and open pretty flat trails for Nordic. But to tell the truth, I was ALWAYS cautious. Now I just have an excuse!

– Amy…also 5 years in :o)

PS. Disclaimer: I didn’t ski last winter–Covid kept us from traveling. I really hope to ski this year.

• Bonnie S

February 9, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Hello Susie from snowy Montana !  I still do lots of skiing – cross country, back country, skating and some downhill.  I try to get out 5 or 6 times a week.  The sunshine & cardio is just what I need to stay motivated and grateful for what I have and where I live…  I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago at 49.  I retired from the National Park Service about 3 years ago, and ski more now than ever before.   Happy to chat more and share my experience if you’d like….

Bonnie

• Karen Frank

February 10, 2021 at 10:05 am

I love to ski and so did my father, who also had PD.  He was diagnosed at age 51 and skiied until he was 70!  He used to call his Sinemet his Go-Fast pills.  There is a Parkinsons ski retreat each year of MLK week at Breckenridge – the Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center (BOEC).  Some ski with adaptations, and others do not need as many.  You stay in an awesome log cabin with others with PD, and enjoy skiing with the BOEC, instructors, and volunteers.  You get to cut all the lines as well, and they ski in front and behind you to keep you safe.  Even the most advanced PD folks can ski with modifications…  from outriggers to monoskiis.  We look forward to coming back year after year, so please join us next year, assuming Coronovirus allows.  This year was cancelled.  Stay active and stay skiing!

• Susanne Rheault

February 10, 2021 at 11:28 am

Thank you Karen for your most encouraging note. I have been feeling that I have done nothing but give up things that I love and Nordic skiing is the last that I really want to hang onto. Right now in New England we’ve got a foot and 1/2 of snow and I just bought a  new pair of cross-country ski boots.  I need some guidance or coaching about how to manage my balance which seems totally  out of whack so I feel very wobbly on my skis. Otherwise athletically I’m doing quite well dancing, walking and doing Pilates so I’d love to feel that cross-country skiing is still an option for me. Do you have any ideas about how best to approach finding a coach or similar? Thanks so much for your support,

Susie

• Jeffery Hill

February 10, 2021 at 12:10 pm

I gave up downhill a couple of years ago because I found that my reaction time (initiating turns) was declining, and I didn’t want this to end with an accident.  I continue cross country skiing on flat terrain (like frozen lakes) but I’m finding that my technique is deteriorating.  One side seems to perform differently than the other, and I don’t lift my tremor-affected arm to the same height as my good arm. I used to be able to ski 2 hours hard, but now can barely do 1 hour.  I also continue to snow shoe, which is so far unaffected.

• Karen Frank

February 10, 2021 at 12:51 pm

you may want to try outriggers on your arms – they take 60% of the work out of turning and really make it easier.  You may need a lesson or two with them, but it’s well worth it!

• Joakim

February 11, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Hi Susie,

Like Bonnie I was diagnosed 5+ years ago at 49, and love to ski. I live in Chicago so I don’t get to ski that often but my wife and I try and get up to 5 days/year downhill and nordic (classic) as often as we can. I have recently developed dystonia in my left foot and just got a botox shot. That seems to have helped. I can’t ski as hard as before, tiring out my muscles after 3 hours or so. I also have focused more on blue runs over black/moguls/chutes,… Those 3 hours are great though. I find my boots a bit harder to get into these days and have been eyeing/reading about APEX boots as a possible future upgrade.

-joa

• Susanne Rheault

February 12, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Thanks all for your encouraging notes. With your encouragement I just got back out on my cross-country skis this afternoon. I wasn’t very fast but I could still do it! I’m not yet ready to try any steep hills that’s for sure but maybe that will come with time