December 17, 2020 at 2:31 pm #19934AllyKeymaster
Hi everyone, I just wanted to highlight some info from a member about an online support group for people with Parkinson’s and their loved ones being offered by Saddleback Church. I’ve copied Bob’s original post below – you can also view it here. If you’re interested in attending, message Bob (Robert Morris) so he can share the Zoom link, and thank you, Bob, for sharing this info with our community!
I don’t know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but it might be of interest to readers. Beginning today (December 16, 2020, the Saddleback Church Parkinson’s Support Group will begin a once-a-month Zoom meeting faith-based support group. It is Christian-based, but we welcome Parkies and their supporters of all faiths (and just seekers, too).
The meetings are the second Wednesday of each month, from 2:00 to 4:00 Pacific.
Anyone interested should direct message me and I’ll send you a Zoom link.
December 24, 2020 at 11:06 pm #19977Robert HarrisParticipant
RE: Saddleback Church Parkinson’s Support Group
Meets the Second Wednesday of Each Month via Zoom, from 2:00-4:00 pm (Pacific)
Manny Johnston and Robert (Bob) Harris, facilitators
This group provides a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where anyone interested in learning more about Parkinson’s disease—including Parkies, caregivers, relatives, and others—can gather for learning and fellowship. Whether you are newly diagnosed or a long-time warrior, you will likely find these meetings useful.
As a faith-based group, we look to God for spiritual and emotional guidance and encouragement. Our trust in Christ helps us bear all things.
But you don’t need to be a Christian to attend and benefit from this support group. People of every faith are welcome.
The agenda provides a structure that enables us to include a variety of ideas and formats. The meetings are dynamic, however, and things can arise that cause changes.
- Opening Prayer
- Welcome from hosts. Welcome one another, introduce yourselves.
- Presentation for January: Beyond Carbidopa/Levodopa.
- Exercise Break 1.
- Encouragement from Scripture.
- Group Question and Answer Activity. (Attendees ask questions about their Parkinson’s and share their insights and answers)
- [if and when we begin to meet in person (as well as on Zoom, if that interest continues), we will have a snack break around this point]
- Group Share and Care. (Attendees share new ideas, discoveries, solutions with the group, Please bring your ideas and insights to the meeting each month.)
- Exercise Break 2.
- Prayer for each other and for the group.
- Resource Presentation. What’s available to help: information (books, pamphlets, web sites), affordances (physical items to make negotiating PD easier), organizations, etc.
- Tips and Techniques. Helpful hints for improving our Parkinson’s life.
- Closing prayer.
Next meeting: Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 2:00-4:00pm, Pacific. Put it on your calendar today.
Questions: If you have any questions or want to get the Zoom link, email me directly by clicking on my photo.
Bob (Robert Harris)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.