Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Jean Mellano
      Keymaster

A recent article mentioned a study that showed that nuts be be a risk factor for Parkinson’s (probably due to pesticides):

Pesticides and Head Injuries – But Also Nuts, Red Meat and Soft Drinks – Linked to Parkinson’s Risk in Cyprus Study

As a plant based diet person, I was not happy to hear this. However, although it is expensive, I will be sure to buy organic nuts in the future.  Do you eat nuts, if so, are they organic?

Andrew L.
      Participant

I eat nuts, organic only. Same with all veggies and fruits. Not a place to save money imho.

Jo S.
      Participant

I believe most nuts are a healthy source of fats and plant protein, but I don’t think it’s wise to eat handfuls at a time. I also agree with Andrew that organic is the way to go.

Jean Mellano
      Keymaster

The beauty is in the balance,,,

George Kapetanakis
      Participant

Pan Metron Ariston as they used to say in Ancient Cyprus, which is Greek for “Everything in Moderation.”

Gail Dons
      Participant

Don’t worry about the nuts, organic or otherwise – we already HAVE Parkinson’s! Our risk is 100%! Seriously, though, you have to take these small studies with a grain of salt. This was based on the recall of ~ 245 Greek Cypriots of how many servings of each food they eat a month. Right – have you taken one of those LONG diet surveys and tried to remember how many green beans you ate last month? Did you guess, or try to make it look like you were a more healthy eater? This was an interview style questionnaire, with the interviewer staring right at them while they tried to figure things out… It also didn’t account for the fact that diet content differs over a lifetime and the Parkinsons was acquired years before they took the survey. It is a small study and any substantial validation of their conclusions needs further large scale corroboration. Besides, any change of diet can’t undo our disease (wouldn’t THAT be awesome!)

Jo S.
      Participant

<<Don’t worry about the nuts, organic or otherwise – we already HAVE Parkinson’s! Our risk is 100%!>>

That cracked me up, Gail. Thank you for giving a much-needed laugh today! 😀

Gail Dons
      Participant

Oh good, Jo S! They tell me humor is good for both body and spirit! No pill can do that!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account