Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research Nuts, not good for PD?

• Andrew L.

November 15, 2019 at 4:22 pm

I eat nuts, organic only. Same with all veggies and fruits. Not a place to save money imho.

• Jo S.

November 17, 2019 at 4:57 am

I believe most nuts are a healthy source of fats and plant protein, but I don’t think it’s wise to eat handfuls at a time. I also agree with Andrew that organic is the way to go.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 17, 2019 at 5:57 am

The beauty is in the balance,,,

• George Kapetanakis

November 17, 2019 at 8:08 am

Pan Metron Ariston as they used to say in Ancient Cyprus, which is Greek for “Everything in Moderation.”

• Gail Dons

November 19, 2019 at 11:16 am

Don’t worry about the nuts, organic or otherwise – we already HAVE Parkinson’s! Our risk is 100%! Seriously, though, you have to take these small studies with a grain of salt. This was based on the recall of ~ 245 Greek Cypriots of how many servings of each food they eat a month. Right – have you taken one of those LONG diet surveys and tried to remember how many green beans you ate last month? Did you guess, or try to make it look like you were a more healthy eater? This was an interview style questionnaire, with the interviewer staring right at them while they tried to figure things out… It also didn’t account for the fact that diet content differs over a lifetime and the Parkinsons was acquired years before they took the survey. It is a small study and any substantial validation of their conclusions needs further large scale corroboration. Besides, any change of diet can’t undo our disease (wouldn’t THAT be awesome!)

• Jo S.

November 19, 2019 at 2:13 pm

<<Don’t worry about the nuts, organic or otherwise – we already HAVE Parkinson’s! Our risk is 100%!>>

That cracked me up, Gail. Thank you for giving a much-needed laugh today! 😀

• Gail Dons

November 21, 2019 at 12:34 am

Oh good, Jo S! They tell me humor is good for both body and spirit! No pill can do that!