Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments MRI guided Focussed Ultrasound (MRgFUS)

• MRI guided Focussed Ultrasound (MRgFUS)

Posted by valtiree on September 8, 2022 at 9:25 pm

I have only recently become aware of MRgFUS to treat PD. It appears to be a much less invasive treatment than Deep Brain Stimulation involving ultrasound focused by MRI to cauterise the PD affected part of the brain.

Has anyone experience of this treatment and, if so, what has been the result?

valtiree replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • fred-barnett

September 14, 2022 at 7:53 am

I had Focused Ultrasound treatment done in July this year for my dominant Right hand. It gave me the use of my hand back and I would highly recommend it.

• mattr

September 14, 2022 at 10:43 am

My understanding is that currently MRgFUS is not performed bilaterally, so mitigation of tremors on both sides of the body are not supported. I asked my doctor about it and he strongly preferred Deep Brain Stimulus which can treat bilateral tremors and which neurologists have more years of experience with…

• valtiree

September 16, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Fred for your response. You said the procedure was successful for your right hand without mentioning whether your left was similarly helped.  MattR’s response suggests that MRgFUS is suitable only for one side only.

Thank you for your responses.

• emily-hoffman

September 20, 2022 at 2:22 pm

I had it on my dominant side. I recommend it 100%. I am on Medicare and it was paid for. I have almost no shaking in my right hand. I cannot have my left side done because the doctor said the chance of side effects was too high. They have little experience with doing the second side and didn’t want to risk a bad outcome. I know this sounds confusing. I am thinking about getting one of those gloves for my second side.

• valtiree

October 13, 2022 at 1:47 am

Thanks Matt and Emily for your info re MRgFUS being a unilateral treatment.