Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Research How to Improve Your Walking Speed

• How to Improve Your Walking Speed

Posted by forum-moderator on March 8, 2019 at 9:57 am

Research says that treadmill training with continuously varying surface inclines improves gait disturbances, particularly walking speed, in patients with Parkinson’s. Find out more here.

Do you currently do any training on a treadmill? Is incline walking a part of your program?

ally replied 5 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • claudio

March 8, 2019 at 10:36 am

I enjoy treadmill in the gym. I usually set 5%, 5 km/h, 30 minutes, once a week. The big advantege for me is also that you can put a tablet or a smartphone in front of you, so you don’t get bored. I enjoyed so much that I am planning to buy a treadmill to use at home.

• ally

March 12, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for sharing, Claudio. What do you like to watch when you’re walking? You also mentioned you have a “portfolio” of exercises. What other physical activities do you do?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 8, 2019 at 4:07 pm

That is fantastic Claudio!  You are motivated, that is half the battle.  Do you think you will do it more than once/week if you get your own treadmill at home?

• claudio

March 9, 2019 at 9:58 am

I hope so, though treadmill (an aerobic exercise surely good for maintaining good gait amplitude and balance) is something I use more in winter and is one of several items I have in my “portfolio of physical activities exercises” that I use, in order to remain motivated.