• How often do you consult Dr. Google?

Posted by ally on November 5, 2020 at 4:41 pm

People often joke about how frequently they Google strange symptoms, only to find the worst possible diagnoses in the search results. It’s a habit I try to avoid giving into myself, but sometimes I can’t help it.

Did you Google any of your PD symptoms before talking to your doctor? Did your search results suggest a Parkinson’s diagnosis or something else? How often do you turn to Dr. Google now?

ally replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 16, 2020 at 2:49 pm

I’m guilty of looking up every possible thing lol! Before diagnosis I read a lot about parkinson’s I was pretty sure because of tremor so at my first neurology visit it took about 10 minutes for doctor to diagnose me even though I kinda knew it was still a shock to hear those words.

• ally

December 17, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Hi Marcus, I think it’s always a shock to have news like that confirmed, even if deep down we know it’s probably true. How long did the shock last for you? What helped you come to terms with your diagnosis?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 22, 2020 at 8:51 am

Hi Ally, after my diagnosis I tried to continue working which lasted about eight months. It became too hard after that I worked in the tree trimming business too dangerous with the chainsaws! After that I spent about six months feeling sorry for myself thought my life was over, then one day I woke up and realized that I wasn’t going to to die from this thing and it was time to start living again. I’ve take early retirement and taken up wildlife photography especially trees lol! Once I came to terms with parkinson’s and with proper medication I feel better than I have for years.

• gail-dons

December 22, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Remember, Dr Google never went to medical school…!

• ally

December 22, 2020 at 2:54 pm

A very good point, Gail! I’ll remember that the next time I’m tempted to type some symptoms into my search bar, haha! 🙂