Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Keymaster

We still don’t know exactly what causes Parkinson’s disease, but there could be a genetic component. There are many other diseases we can currently test for, though. Have you ever done any genetic testing? What did you find out? If you wouldn’t ever have any genetic testing done, why not?

Mike P
      Participant

My MDS neurologist ordered one genetic test for Gaucher’s disease (GBA) that came back negative. Apparently there are some new targeted PD treatments for people that have Gaucher’s disease. I’ve been told there are other treatments in development for the other genetic PD associated genes such as PARK7, SNCA, LRRK2, parkin and PINK1. I’m definitely interested in having more genetic tests done if there are associated clinical trials for those genetic mutations.

I’m wary of donating my DNA to the big commercial outfits. Their privacy policies seem sketchy and subject to change. I read that 23andMe is partnering with the Michael J. Fox Foundation so that makes me feel a little better.

I completed the biomarker study through MJFF and I hope my DNA is helpful for their research.

Jean Mellano
      Participant

mike , i also worked with MJFF and 23andme to supply my genetic material .  it may not help me, but perhaps their research may help others in the future.

Mike P
        Participant

I joined the MJFF and 23andMe project and my results came back negative for the LRRK2 and GBA variants. Hopefully they expand the project to test for some of the other variants that they think are related to Parkinson’s disease (e.g. PARK7, SNCA, PINK1, etc.).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account