Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Have you made any adjustments to your home?

• Have you made any adjustments to your home?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on November 4, 2020 at 10:53 am

As Dad’s Parkinson’s progresses, my parents often discuss ways to change our home to make it easier for him. They’ve talked about adding a ramp to the back door. They’re considering re-arranging furniture to create ways for my Dad to catch himself. And we already have a few grab bars in the bathroom. Have you made any adjustments to your home? Do you intend to make any if you haven’t yet?

Mary Beth Skylis replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Roy

November 5, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Most of our adjustments have been an attempt to make life easier for me. We added a portable bidet and grab bars to the toilet in the master bedroom. If you have trouble with keeping your hiney clean due to limited mobility, the bidet is a Godsend. We had put in a low threshold shower with grab bars several years ago when my mother-in-law lived with us, so that wasn’t a problem. Our home was already elderly safe from her stay, so we left it pretty much the same.  To make it easier for me to get out of my living room chair, we purchased an electric chair that opens up completely so that I can sleep in it, if that is more comfortable. The last item we changed was a “Parkinson’s” mattress, a ThevoCalm, which we learned about on the site. The stairs up to our front door has railings on both sides. But, there aren’t any on the side door. We need to address that soon, as I have felt it is currently an unsafe stairway for me.

• Mary Beth Skylis

November 6, 2020 at 7:55 am

Thank you for sharing your expertise, Roy. I hadn’t thought of how a bidet could make a difference, but that makes complete sense. What, exactly, does a “Parkinson’s” mattress do?

• twok

November 6, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Roy, I am anxious to know how you like your mattress.  I thought the concept was promising.  PLEASE let me know!

• Mary Beth Skylis

November 10, 2020 at 7:38 am

Yes, I’m interested too! 🙂