Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Participant

Has anyone ever mistakenly believed you were drunk or on drugs because of your Parkinson’s symptoms? What happened and how did you handle it? How did you feel?

P.S. Sending a big virtual hug to anyone who has experienced this really difficult situation.

Sherman Paskett
      Participant

I haven’t, but I have read reports from others who have been stopped for a DUI. The particular case that I read on another forum was reported by a woman who had been given a DUI because she was drifting across the lane lines. She went to court and the judge dismissed the case when she told him she had PD, which I found interesting. The judge must have had some significant awareness of PD or I would have expected her driver’s license to be permanently suspended. Or maybe the judge was just a compassionate person. The DUI was inappropriate, but if I were not able to stay centered in my lane I would not want to be driving. Sometimes that means when the meds are off I don’t drive and that can mean I am stranded wherever I am until the next dose kicks in.

Recently, though, I took my midday dose an hour early due to driving across a timezone and my smart clock in the car advanced an hour which I forgot to compensate for. The dyskinesia, which was already problematic, was so intense for a couple of hours that I was staggering all over the place. I just had to sit down and wait for the overdoes to wear off.

William
      Participant

I have not (to my knowledge) but when I started having balance issues I went to my boss and disclosed my condition. I would occasionally bump into door jambs and such and if I got reported I wanted him to know. One night I was stopped in a drunk driving roadblock and even though I had not been drinking I realized that I probably wouldn’t pass a sobriety field test. I did not have to take one thankfully but I asked my neirologist for a letter which I now keep in my glove compartment. If they would have asked me to take the test I would have asked to skip it and take a breath test. I have not experienced any difficulties driving due to PD thankfully.

Ally
        Participant

Hi William, thanks for sharing your experience. Having a letter in your glove box, just in case, is an excellent idea.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2023 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account