Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Has DBS had a positive impact on your life? Which abilities did it give you back, if any?

Tagged: 

• Has DBS had a positive impact on your life? Which abilities did it give you back, if any?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on June 5, 2023 at 10:06 am

In Christine Scheer’s recent column, she talks about some of the pain and difficulties she’s had to experience due to Parkinson’s and other health complications over recent years. Eventually, she decides that DBS is the right procedure for her, and the surgery gives her many of her abilities back. Now, she can prevent her tea from spilling, and hold her cutlery without dropping it. 

Has DBS had a positive impact on your life? Which abilities did it give you back, if any?

Sveinn Áki Sverrisson replied 10 months, 1 week ago 11 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Daniel Novak

June 6, 2023 at 9:48 am

DBS to the GPI location help me regain some functions in my lower legs. The improvement in gait allowed me to exercise harder for another 5 or 10 years. However, in theory, we end up the same but it sure helped the journey.

• Jon Busch

June 6, 2023 at 4:14 pm

A DBS surgeon once said to me “DBS isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”  It makes this thread all the more interesting to me.

• Rob W

June 7, 2023 at 8:47 am

DBS has helped me to keep exercising. Before DBS I would get dystonia in my leg that would cause it to twist whenever I ran or biked. And it got worse when I exercise harder. Knowing the effects of how exercise helped my symptoms improve it made DBS a no brainer for me. I had DBS in 2015 and since then I have been able to ride my bike and Jog without any dystonia and the fact that I also got off of about half of my meds also made it very beneficial. I had DBS placed in the STN.

• Teresa Masterani-Hicks

June 7, 2023 at 12:15 pm

I completed the DBS as of April 6, 2023!  The tremors are gone in my hand/arm which it also affected my right leg with dyskinesia which that is gone too!  I’m glad I had it done because I couldn’t stay still even with the meds! I was taking meds every three hours  before DBS which made me nauseous and even threw up on occasion!  Now I’m on 4 meds a day which is great for me now that the DBS takes care of everything else!  I feel better but I have to say my balance is better but not totally gone!  All in all it was the right thing to do for me!  I’m very glad I had it done!

• Ron Lusk

June 9, 2023 at 4:43 pm

DBS allows me to walk again.  I now have 3 leads in my brain.  The first 2 allow me to stand with balance and I can walk again.  They also control the termers in my left hand.   The third lead was added which helps the right hand.  The plus is more control on my right side, the negative is no MRI as that would fry my brain like a miocrowave.

• Marjorie Weiss

June 13, 2023 at 2:58 pm

My husband had surgery in 2007 for the left side of his brain and 2009 for the right side of his brain. It helped him control the tremors so that even all these years later they barely show up. The best thing for him was it took away the pain that he had from the stiffness. His neurologist once told a resident that he had had a remarkable response to DBS.

before the surgery medication did not help his tremor and terrible stiffness in his legs and arms at all. He was given the highest dose of CL that his neurologist had ever given a patient. It did not make a difference and the side effects were vast. Hence, the DBS surgery was an absolute lifesaver.

• Al

June 14, 2023 at 11:31 am

In fact, DBS has saved my life. I’m back to normal functioning with no more tremors in either hand except under high-stress situation.

• J. Gottlob

June 15, 2023 at 4:05 pm

I had bi-lateral DBA in July of 2020.  I have since moved to another state for better health care.  my new neurologist questioned why- I had gotten it and that one of the  leads wasn’t located in the correct spot.  My old neurologist oversold the results.  My problems are gait and balance., which DBS doesn’t address  so I did not gain any super powers.

• Yvan Demers

June 18, 2023 at 11:26 am

Tremblement et dyskinésies son disparu complètement. Depuis octobre 2022 j’ai subis l’opération DBS. J’ai réduit la médication de 70 %. Toutefois , mon équilibre et mon débit vocale est légèrement affecté. Je continue de travailler sur les ajustements avec mon neurologue pour retrouver mon équilibre d’avant l’opération. Je suis conscient qu’à 61 ans, je ne pourrai pas retrouvé mon énergie de 21 ans. Si je devais recommencer je le ferai à nouveau.

• Sveinn Áki Sverrisson

June 23, 2023 at 12:42 pm

DBS changed everything for me. Before surgery, I was off for a long time every day, and strangely especially on weekends. I now take 50% less levadopa.