Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ally
      Keymaster

Did you know that playing games can benefit people with Parkinson’s?

Word searches, puzzles, strategy games and even simple 52-card deck games all offer different opportunities for people with PD to work on multitasking, coordination, sequencing, dexterity and working memory — not to mention, they’re fun!

Listen to this flash briefing of a column by Lori DePorter to learn more about the benefits of game-play for people with Parkinson’s.

Do you enjoy playing games? Which ones are your favorite and why? Do you notice any positive effects after playing games?

Jo S.
      Participant

My husband and I play a card game I love called “Spite and Malice” that takes some strategizing and concentration. I also do Sudoku puzzles and word search puzzles. I’d play more games (chess, backgammon) if my husband liked them as much as I do, but since he doesn’t, these will have to do for now. I also occasionally look for games I can play online, but I prefer in-person ones much more.

Ally
        Keymaster

Thanks for replying, Jo! I’m terrible at Sudoku but I know the benefits of that puzzle are incredible. I should give it another go. I’ll have to check out Spite and Malice. Thanks for the recommendation. 🙂

Jogo cartas, todos os fins de semana e sinto um pouco de alivio, pois não penso na doença, mas sim em conversar com os parceiros e divertir-me.O meu humor melhora consideravelmente.Nos dias de semana, palavras cruzadas, sudoku, leitura de jornais e revistas.Da-me prazer, relaxo.

Ally
      Keymaster

Translating for folks who don’t speak Portuguese 🙂

I play cards every weekend and feel a little relieved because I don’t think about the disease, but about talking to my partners and having fun. My mood improves considerably. On weekdays, crosswords, sudoku, reading of newspapers and magazines. It gives me pleasure, I relax.

Parece que os jogos são muito benéficos para você, Francisco. Obrigado por compartilhar!

It sounds like games are very beneficial to you, Francisco. Thank you for sharing! 

Alan Berry
      Participant

I have enjoyed word game magazines for many years as well as crosswords. However I find that in the four months or so since diagnosis my skills and memory have declined. I will continue though and try other outlets including absorbing daily news and sports news for discussion with my wife.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account