• Posted by Ally on November 4, 2021 at 6:38 am

Did you know that playing games can benefit people with Parkinson’s?

Word searches, puzzles, strategy games and even simple 52-card deck games all offer different opportunities for people with PD to work on multitasking, coordination, sequencing, dexterity and working memory — not to mention, they’re fun!

Listen to this flash briefing of a column by Lori DePorter to learn more about the benefits of game-play for people with Parkinson’s.

Do you enjoy playing games? Which ones are your favorite and why? Do you notice any positive effects after playing games?

Alan Berry replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jo S.

November 4, 2021 at 2:54 pm

My husband and I play a card game I love called “Spite and Malice” that takes some strategizing and concentration. I also do Sudoku puzzles and word search puzzles. I’d play more games (chess, backgammon) if my husband liked them as much as I do, but since he doesn’t, these will have to do for now. I also occasionally look for games I can play online, but I prefer in-person ones much more.

• Ally

November 4, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for replying, Jo! I’m terrible at Sudoku but I know the benefits of that puzzle are incredible. I should give it another go. I’ll have to check out Spite and Malice. Thanks for the recommendation. 🙂

• francisco manuel goncalves

November 4, 2021 at 3:00 pm

Jogo cartas, todos os fins de semana e sinto um pouco de alivio, pois não penso na doença, mas sim em conversar com os parceiros e divertir-me.O meu humor melhora consideravelmente.Nos dias de semana, palavras cruzadas, sudoku, leitura de jornais e revistas.Da-me prazer, relaxo.

• Ally

November 4, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Translating for folks who don’t speak Portuguese 🙂

I play cards every weekend and feel a little relieved because I don’t think about the disease, but about talking to my partners and having fun. My mood improves considerably. On weekdays, crosswords, sudoku, reading of newspapers and magazines. It gives me pleasure, I relax.

Parece que os jogos são muito benéficos para você, Francisco. Obrigado por compartilhar!

It sounds like games are very beneficial to you, Francisco. Thank you for sharing! 

• Alan Berry

November 4, 2021 at 3:20 pm

I have enjoyed word game magazines for many years as well as crosswords. However I find that in the four months or so since diagnosis my skills and memory have declined. I will continue though and try other outlets including absorbing daily news and sports news for discussion with my wife.