Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings.  New to this forum.

I have read in several places that Excessive Daytime Sleepiness is a common non-motor symptom of PD.

Does anyone in this group struggle with this?  If so, how do you manage it?  What meds do you take?

Thanks.

RT
      Participant

My husband is a PD patient with a known diagnosis of RBD (Rapid Eye Movement Behavior Sleep Disorder) that contributes to daytime sleepiness. Taking melatonin (3 mg; safe to take up to 9 mg) has definitely cut back on the sleep disorder which causes less sleepiness during the day. We were told that Klonopin may help if the melatonin does not.
      Good luck!

Alan M
      Participant

DREM is the bane of my existence at the moment.  I seem to need to take an afternoon siesta daily as a result.  One hour’s rest does me.  But I’m ready for bed by 9:30 – 10:00 pm and can’t seem to wake up until 9:00 am.  The Neurologist prescribed me Clonazepam to be taken just before bedtime.  I heard that due to its highly addictive characteristics and long half-life, one can quickly become addicted to Clonazepam even if taken as prescribed.  Clonazepam is not generally recommended for long-term use because it is known to be a habit-forming substance. Over time, the patient’s body tends to build a tolerance to the drug.  See https://www.rehabspot.com/benzodiazepines/klonopin/  and  https://www.intoactionrecovery.com/is-clonazepam-addictive/

Rick Tabakin
      Participant

I found myself (a person with PD) getting sleepy in the afternoon.  My doctor changed my prescription regimen and it seems to be helping.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account