Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Does going barefoot help you with lower back pain?

• Does going barefoot help you with lower back pain?

Posted by Toni Shapiro on May 26, 2023 at 1:55 pm

Hi, There have been a number of posts over the years from those of us who suffer from Lower Back Pain.  I am aware that there is a relationship between Parkinson’s and Lower Back Pain but in researching I can not find much regarding going barefoot at home and if it is helpful.  The studies I have read are mixed with both pros and cons sounding reasonable. I would very much appreciate it if those of you who have eased their back pain  by going barefoot would reply.  Also anyone who found a certain type of shoe helpful in easing the pain. Thank you, Toni

Sussan Thomas replied 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alan M

May 30, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Hey Toni. thanks for the interesting questions and unique POV.  I never even considered trying footwear to solve this painful dilemma.

I’ve always focused mainly on chemical pain relief (i.e. taking paracetamol daily) more than footwear solutions.  I live in my mufti slippers.  Maybe that’s almost like going barefoot, what do you reckon?

I assumed our back pain must originate neurologically or out of the CNS.  So the ol’ adage, “Better living through chemistry” seems to make a lot of sense to me.

• Kate

May 31, 2023 at 8:52 am

Yes i think that barefoot is better in general for your back, posture, balance. BUT i have recently found something that works fabulously for my chronic  lower back pain. It is called a Kailo Pain Patch. It does not contain any medicines and it works by nano technology. To find out more info go on line to GoKailo.com. I have been using mine since December and i think it is fabulous.  I live in a large senior development where we have a large PD population, and i have recommended this to many of my friends. I am in no way connected with this company but when i found something that stops my pain in ten minutes. WOW

Kate Maen

• Sussan Thomas

March 31, 2024 at 1:45 pm

I’ve been dealing with lower back pain for a few years, started after a long road trip. It was rough, especially in the mornings. I tried a few things, but what really made a difference was physiotherapy. It turned out to be the best back pain treatment for me. My physiotherapist, Abdallah, suggested a mix of exercises and a few lifestyle changes.

One interesting tip was about going barefoot at home. Abdallah mentioned that it could help by naturally strengthening the foot muscles and improving my posture, which in turn could ease the back pain. And honestly, it did feel like it made a difference for me. Along with the exercises he recommended, going barefoot was part of a holistic approach to managing my back pain.