• Posted by geraldine-rondeau on October 15, 2019 at 11:38 am

Hello:

This is my first time.  I’ve been wondering what other PDiers experience when visiting their Neurologist?

I wait months for an appointment and then it’s an in & out experience.  ie:  How do you feel; increase medications & nothing further.

Is this a normal appointment experience?  Should I be looking for more &/or another doctor?

Thank you, for any & all suggestions.

Sincerely,

Geraldine Rondeau

chris-manning replied 4 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 15, 2019 at 11:46 am

Any Canadians out there who can share their experiences?

geraldine, I am in NY.  It can take months to get appt. with a doctor, but I have found with my neurologist that when I really need to speak to him, his office will squeeze me in within a few days.  As for in and out, I believe that is doctor dependent. My neurologist treats me as a full person and he usually spends at least 30 minutes with me.  I have been to almost 10 neurologists since I was diagnosed in 2015 and I like some much more than others.

It seems you r not comfortable with your dr.  I would suggest you check out another neurologist to see if you are more comfortable with their treatment style

• geraldine-rondeau

October 15, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Thank you, Jean Mellano, for answering my request and yes I think that suggestion is my best course of action to take.

I’m 72 & was finally diagnosed after I moved to St Catharines, ON CANADA 4 years ago.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 15, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Good luck to you.  This disease is so complex with so many options to treat

with meds as well as alternative therapies, it is good to find a doctor who is open minded and cares about you as the person.

• ally

October 15, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I used to live in St. Catharines! Are you enjoying the city? 🙂

• gail-dons

October 20, 2019 at 11:19 pm
    • I am so sorry you had that experience, Geraldine. That should definitely not be the norm. It may help to prepare for your doctor’s visits by writing down a list of your issues and your questions – and then stand between him/her and the door! If you keep having that experience, find another doctor. You need a physician who does care, and with whom you can communicate. You have a long road ahead, best traveled with good friends, and that includes your doctor.
  • norm

October 22, 2019 at 10:55 am

Hi Geraldine: When I visit my wife’s neurologist with her I make sure we have a short diary of any changes in her condition. It is essential that you are pro-active. If you don’t inform the neurologist of any changes, he or she does not know and consequently will not be adjusting medications or suggesting various treatments. If possible, bring along  someone who is in frequent contact with you and who can notice any changes.  Hope this helps.

• chris-manning

October 22, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Hi Geraldine: I live in the Toronto area. It took several months for me to see my first neurologist and she was exactly as you have described. After my second visit, I decided to try someone else. I was incredibly fortunate to have been able to get in to see a neurologist at the Movement Disorder Clinic, Toronto Western Hospital, quite quickly (TWH is the best hospital in Canada for PD and the normal waiting time is 2 -3 years!). She could not have been more wonderful – answering all my questions and those of my wife. So if you are not happy where you are, try someone else.