• Do you believe in healing?

Posted by Ally on April 29, 2019 at 2:26 pm

I attended an interesting event at my church recently where someone spoke about God’s healing power. They cited examples of people being healed from cancer, bacterial infections in the brain, and more. They also said that sometimes you can pray for someone to be healed, and it doesn’t happen. I believe one of the quotes was: “You pray for healing for no one, and no one gets healed. You pray for healing for everyone, and some people get healed.”

I’m not sure how I feel about this concept. I believe in God and I believe he is all powerful. There must be a good reason why not everyone is healed. For example, I can’t think of a single person who has been healed from PD. It has got me thinking, too, that maybe healing isn’t always physical… perhaps the physical illness remains but there is a spiritual or emotional healing that takes place.

What do you think? Do you believe in God or a higher power? Do you believe in healing?

Lou Hevly replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lou Hevly

April 30, 2019 at 11:37 am

I believe in God, but I’m not sure “healing on command”, that is, praying to get well, would be a good thing. If everyone who prayed were healed and others who didn’t weren’t, everyone would pray because it worked and there would be no reason for faith, which is belief in what can’t be proved, which is for me an essential part of life.

• Ally

April 30, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I think that’s true, Lou. I also think if we could heal on command, as you say, then we wouldn’t even need a God because WE would be God. I’m thankful every day I don’t have that supreme responsibility!

Has your faith been challenged or grown in any way since you were diagnosed?

• Lou Hevly

May 1, 2019 at 5:45 am

Well, that’s not exactly what I meant. If we pray to God and He always answers our prayers, that doesn’t make us God, it simply removes the necessity for faith, because then we have scientific proof that God exists: He (or She or Someone/Something) always answers our prayers. And indirectly, this would influence our free will, because praying now is an act of faith that we decide to do or not do through our free will. If it always worked, free will would be irrelevant.

No, my faith hasn’t been affected so far by my Parkinson’s, though so far I haven’t really suffered anything unbearable. Ask me again in 5 years 😉