• Posted by Ally on August 22, 2023 at 7:59 pm

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? That’s a familiar idiom, and in this column, it’s one that Doc Irish applies to Parkinson’s, particularly when it comes to cognitive function.

“Our brains are not hard-wired,” writes Doc Irish. “Even though we may have underlying Parkinson’s pathology, we can still rejuvenate, remodel, and reshape our brain connections.”

What do you think of Doc Irish’s column? What thoughts do you have on rewiring your brain to improve cognition? Is your care team open to having this conversation with you?

Ally replied 8 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alan M

August 25, 2023 at 10:24 pm

Hey Ally:

I read Doc Irish’s column.  It does make sense to me.  What doesn’t make sense is your fiinal query:  What would the conversation you mention sound like?  Who would be included.  As I do not have a “care team”.  Unless you consider my neuro, the PD Nurse and my spouse being the team — in it’s entirety.  Is that who you mean?  I’d love to carry our discussion here out some more.  You OK with this?

• Ally

August 29, 2023 at 7:08 pm

Hi Alan, that’s actually exactly how I’d define your care team — anyone who is part of your PD experience/journey/care experience — however you want to call it. I get the sense from some folks I talk to that some medical/care teams are a bit stuck in their ways and not as open to talking about new opportunities when it comes to PD care. How open are your neuro, PD nurse and spouse to trying new things? How open are you?