• Posted by Holly Jacobs on June 22, 2021 at 5:30 am

Hello Friends:

I am working on creating a PD Art Series Workshop for my support group and I am wondering if any of you have discovered art as part of a multidisciplinary treatment plan? Did you know that creating art, such as painting can enhance visual-spatial skills, (which can be useful for turning corners, especially important for turning while driving.)  improved fine motor skills; maintain cognitive memory, create a sense of individuality, develop a mind-body connection, strengthen concentration, and have a positive mood enhancing effect a person. I have personally found that even though my right hand shakes I somehow  feel like I slip into another world full of peace and tranquility! (all be it, it only lasts for about an hour. but so worth it) I also noticed I tend to switch hands towards the end of my hour because the shaking begins emerging more. What are your thoughts on this form of therapy? Thank you for your time, best regards, Holly

Paul Hojuson replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Paul Hojuson

June 22, 2021 at 3:34 pm

6 months ago I started painting out of sheer boredom. It has developed into a serious hobby despite the challenges I face with minor tremors but somehow with relaxation, the tremor stops and I’m successful in my endeavors. This activity has provided me with the greatest sense of “flow” I’ve haven’t felt since running marathons years ago. The mental challenge has given me opportunities beyond my expectations. For anyone with physical limitations, next to writing about art, this hobby has given me hours of satisfaction and enjoyment.