Tagged: ,

• Are you worried about falling?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on June 30, 2021 at 9:45 am

I’ve noticed that my Dad seems to be freezing more frequently. We’ve arranged our furniture to support him while he moves across the main floor. But I still worry about him falling. He spends much of his time alone, and I can’t bear the thought of him falling while no one is around. Are you worried about falling? Have you taken any steps to prevent it from happening?

AK Jones replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Mal Thompson

July 1, 2021 at 11:52 am

It seems to me that my balance is mostly affected by my medication .
    Try moving your med times and amount and see if it improves .
    It has for me .

Mal

• Lloyd

July 1, 2021 at 4:07 pm

Yes-excellent question. I have balance sticks as well as an UP-Walker near me, always. It’s especially imperative when the meds are close to wearing off. It’s a good idea to remove clutter and have a clear pathway.

• J. Gottlob

July 1, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Yes, I worry and do fall, at least twice a day.  I don’t know if my left knee will ever heal up.

I use a 4 footed cane, which helps.  That and keeping up on my C/L along with my caffeine level.  Focusing on walking, taking big steps, and resetting when I freeze up all help.

• AK Jones

July 1, 2021 at 6:55 pm

I fall at least 4 times a week, God has blessed me with the ability to be able to move in a manner that I reduced the damage to body by recalling tumbling skills earlier in life. I have had some really nasty falls when furniture and such are in the way of my falls. Ripping toes open, cutting leg/arm/face, fracturing ribs/ wrists/ shoulder . My biggest fear is falling backwards and passing out while bleeding.