• Anyone tried Low Dose Naltrexone?

Posted by Mike Simmons on September 19, 2023 at 7:54 pm

I’ve been reading some positive results some have had using Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) and am wondering if anyone has tried it. Thanks.

CKF replied 2 weeks, 5 days ago 10 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Charles H Levin

September 21, 2023 at 3:04 pm

This appears to be a drug used for people with addictions to opiates and alcohol. How is it being used for people with PD? Are docs prescribing this?

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7399/naltrexone-oral/details

https://www.samhsa.gov/medications-substance-use-disorders/medications-counseling-related-conditions/naltrexone

• Mike Simmons

September 23, 2023 at 10:32 am

It was approved in higher doses 50mg or greater for the use you detailed, but it has been used in low doses 4.5mg or less for cancers, MS, even PD. It is perfectly legal for a doctor to prescribe LDN for off label use., finding one that will is another story. My neurologist wouldn’t so I went the tele-med route – have some LDN on the way so I can try for myself (~$100 for 3 months of capsules)

• Baba-tif

September 27, 2023 at 1:26 pm

I have used in my own PD situation with no negatives but hard to ascertain positives. I am mildly afflicted thusfar after 2 yrs of gait problems, micrographia, slowing, balance problems, and mood struggles. I embrace its value, having used “LDN” for almost two decades in my autism medical practice and with autoimmunity in adults with a lot of benefits. Needs to be compounded. The usual dose for adults is the tiny 4.5 mg vs 50-150 in addiction. J Green MD

ps it can be home compounded as follows: place 3 50 mg tablets in a coffee grinder. add 8 measuring tsp of sugar or another powder (it is not stable in aqueous solution). grind thoroughly pulverize and mix. From this “solution” a 4.5 mg dose is 1/4 measuring tsp, the usual daily dose.

• Steve

September 21, 2023 at 4:45 pm

In low dose amounts (<4.5mg) it is well regarded as an anti inflammatory, immune modulator as well as having other potential benefits. I do not about its antiparkinson effects, however.

• deadinbed

September 21, 2023 at 7:18 pm

i tried LDN many yrs, ago and felt SO much better for about 3 months then it stopped suddenly just like it worked overnight and what a let down but i felt so good for that time!

• Mike Simmons

September 23, 2023 at 10:37 am

Drugs/medications can gradually lose effectiveness, but for something to work well for 3 months then stop working ‘overnight’ – the only explanation is that you started using an inferior or even fake drug compound.

• K Ride

September 23, 2023 at 11:31 pm

HI, my HwP has been taking LDN since last December for pain control. However, it has never seemed to help. Our alternative practitioner says to keep taking it however, so we do. We are also doing chelation therapy, MaH (IV ozone), high dose glutathione (IV and oral), and NAD IV therapy. I am looking into rectal ozone insufflations to be done at home. Nothing really seems to help the PD except after the MaH IV’s, and it only lasts for 24 up to 48 hours. But I do believe that healing takes time and we will find the right combination to help him. However, he has a lot of heavy metals and we are slowly decreasing all of them, esp lead. Glad to know that the LDN has other properties that are positive! Thank you. Perhaps your PCP would be willing to prescribe them to you if you can show them the positive effects. I have found that after 3 neurologists, none are open to ANY kind of alternative therapy at all. Look up HealthUnlocked.com and join their PD forum for gaining information from some of the smartest people I have seen on the internet regarding this disease, people with PD! They are so kind and helpful and are much more up to speed on alternative therapies and research on PD. Good Luck!

• Jon Busch

September 26, 2023 at 3:30 pm

I’ve tried LDN for a few months to no noticeable effect. I had to get it from a compounding pharmacy. It was relatively inexpensive – too bad it had no effect.

• Mari White

September 28, 2023 at 2:57 pm

I use Low Dose Naltrexone. I was originally prescribed it for muscle pain. After a while, I stopped it because I did not think it was working. But when not on it, I realized that it was doing much more than I thought. I have it compounded through KU Specialty pharmacy. Its such a tiny dose (4.5 mg). Alrhough its original use was for Narcotic withdrawl, they found that the tiny doses actually have a goodpain response. Anyways, I am slowly building myself back up to the 4.5mg. I have a very complicated situation where I have any conflicting and complicating medical issues besides early onset Parkinsons. Pain, stiffness, and leg spasms/cramps are in all of them. Hope this helps.

• Mike Simmons

September 29, 2023 at 8:15 pm

Well, I tried LDN for 4 days. First night, I seemed to feel pretty relaxed while laying in bed, but the next 3 nights it made my sleeping worse, which is not good as I already don’t sleep well, and it also made my stomach upset the next day along with gas/discomfort…so, while I had high hopes, I didn’t take it last night and felt better without it, so it’s no go for me.

• Edward

October 3, 2023 at 5:27 pm

I have prescribed LD Naltrexone for various conditions and take it myself. I has been shown to reduce brain cell inflammation and has been helpful for MS. See https://ldnresearchtrust.org/how-low-dose-naltrexone-works to learn more. I recommend it for Parkinson’s patients for 90 days. If it helps, continue, if not, discontinue. I prescribed it at 4.5mg since many studies have found this to an effective dose. Call with any questions. 510 913 1366. EC

• CKF

April 11, 2024 at 6:06 pm

I’ve been using 3mg for 2 months now and it’s been a game changer for me. It’s like someone spayed me with WD40. You have to either get it compounded or create your own compound by crushing it. I got a gem scale and it was still too light to register.