Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you have any Parkinson’s related goals for 2024?

• Do you have any Parkinson’s related goals for 2024?

Posted by Ally on January 10, 2024 at 10:09 am

I’ve always been a big goal setter and I like to set goals in different categories, such as health, finances, relationships, etc.

Do you enjoy setting goals? Have you set any PD- or health-related goals for 2024? What about goals for other areas of your life?

JackieHC replied 2 days, 10 hours ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Robert Medof

January 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm

Life is just a bunch of choices (mostly our own). My goal for 2024 is to make better choices. My PD goal is to get better than I was in 2023.

• Ally

January 16, 2024 at 8:37 pm

Thanks, Robert. What are some of the choices you’re going to make/actions you’ll take to make this year better than last year?

• Robert Medof

February 29, 2024 at 2:43 pm

Working on weight and cardio at least 5x/week

Change my diet to include more veges and less animal protein

cut down or eliminate (yikes) processed sugar and processed carbs

do the exercises my PT & OC gave me in addition to gym workouts

Learn to juggle. sounds like fun and will help cognitively I hope.

• Alan M

May 7, 2024 at 8:10 pm

Kia Ora Robert!

Your list is rather impressive if you don’t mind me saying…

I find if I make too many resolutions at NYE I soon feel overwhelmed and curse myself for trying too hard.

I think I’ll keep my list somewhat shorter — like, “do more exercise on my treadmilll, and be more diligent in taking my PD drugs in a timely fashion (which mainly refers to being more organized and using technology, to ensure I don’t forget so often!”

• Ally

May 8, 2024 at 7:55 pm

Robert, that’s a great list of goals! Thanks for sharing. I’d be curious to hear about your juggling progress. 🙂

Alan, have you heard of the SMARTER framework for goal setting, popularized by Michael Hyatt? It stands for:

Specific

Measureable

Actionable

Risky (not Realistic!)

Timebound

Exciting

Relevant

This is one of my favourite frameworks for setting goals and resolutions each year.

• JackieHC

May 10, 2024 at 4:55 pm

My goal for 2024 is to complete the majority of the filming for our feature-length documentary, “Come Talk To Me,” which we hope to have ready by Summer 2025 for community screenings and film festival showings. It will definitely be submitted to the 2026 World Parkinson’s Congress screening room..

Here is a brief summary of the film:

<font face=”garamond, times new roman, serif”>“Because communication is everything.” </font><font face=”times new roman, serif”>“Come Talk To Me” shows Parkinson’s disease (PD) activist Jackie Christensen, husband Paul, and a diverse group of friends with PD as they reflect on how it has affected their own speech and relationships </font>with family, friends, and healthcare providers, and discuss available assistive communication options, as well as possible barriers to their use.<font face=”Times New Roman, serif”></font>

https://vimeo.com/929669552/57ab7869df