• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 31, 2019 at 7:23 pm

I had not heard of this young plasma.  I saw an article on FOx’s website related about plasma based therapy. Wondering if they are one and the same.

https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundation/news-detail.php?alkahest-begins-phase-ii-trial-of-plasma-based-therapy

If you find additional info, plz update this thread.

• dez

February 1, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Hello Jean. Yes, the plasma based therapy you read on Fox’s website started out as one and the same, with both using young blood plasma. Based upon similar success, Alkahest is now employing a fraction derived solely from young plasma for proprietary profit purposes (it is not possible to patent a natural biologic, so they are attempting to develop a manufactured derivative with proprietaries they can patent), acknowledging that all they are doing is removing some plasma components which they believe are not directly related to neuroregeneration, without adding anything additional. Given their manufacturing process adds considerable expense and some of the components they remove could cause side-effects, the neurologists in the Houston study believed it would be safer and less expensive to stay with natural fresh frozen blood plasma taken intact from volunteer 19-25 year old donors.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 1, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Wow, that sounds promising.  I wonder if it is only available in Houston.  It makes me sad that profit is the overriding factor in the availability of promising treatments for those of us suffering every day with this disease.

Do you know if additional drugs need to be taken so the body does not reject the plasma from donors (much like organ transplant recipients must do)?

• dez

February 5, 2019 at 10:55 am

Hello Jean.  NuPlasma is currently available throughout Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) and the FDA is processing their application to allow them to fill prescriptions nationwide.  NuPlasma is a blood bank and not big-pharma.  Plasma is somewhat costly to collect, test, store and ship, and blood bank margins are nothing like the predatory pricing pharmaceutical companies charge.

Plasma is the non-cellular component of blood, with all the proteins, anti-bodies, hormones and minerals that stimulate and protect cell function.  As with all blood products, NuPlasma is matched to your blood-type and NuPlasma then provides gender specific units collected from 18 – 25 year old volunteer donors.  No immunosuppressants are needed and in fact, 10,000 units of plasma are safely used in the United States every day.  And as an added benefit, because plasma generally does not interact or conflict with existing prescriptions, all the study participants stayed on their usual medications, so the study improvements were on top off what they were realizing from their personally optimized treatment regimens.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        February 5, 2019 at 4:24 pm

thank you Dez again.  I have subscribed to the website newsletter; should be interesting to see how this flies in 2019.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 5, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Thank you Dez. Do you know anyone personally who has benefited from this treatment?  Do you know where I can find the status of  their FDA application that will to allow them to fill prescriptions nationwide?

• dez

February 5, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Hello Jean. Yes, there are people I know personally who have benefited, but the compelling part of the young plasma study website is that it presents the actual data from blood labs and physician assessments, as compared to a friend subjectively saying it helped them. What I find fascinating about the website is that not only are the results compared to patients receiving a placebo, but you can look at the changes in the blood to better understand why the assessment areas improved.

• dez

May 8, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Good afternoon! Happy to share an update on the young plasma infusions. The double-blind / placebo-based study in Houston has released their 3 month results! See link for the updated details and results from the study: https://www.youngplasmastudy.com/

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 8, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Thank you Dez for sharing this. I wonder what next steps are and when it will be available nationwide. I submitted an inquiry on their website.