• Posted by ed-brand on January 31, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I keep reading conflicting information about yogurt and how it may impact PD. Some articles tout its protein as important for seniors, and its probiotics as beneficial to gut health; yet other studies implicate yogurt in the development of PD, as well as hastening its progression; Greek yogurt’s high protein content also seems to violate the recommendation for PD patients to moderate their protein intake. Can anyone credibly clarify whether yogurt should or should not be part of a healthful PD diet? Thanks.

lyn-richards replied 2 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • daniel-novak

February 1, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Protein is good for us,!

Out carbidopa levodopa meds will fight with protein for access to the brain,  so schedule around that potential conflict if your meds are not producing your hoped for benefit.

A little yogurt  appears to help my gut  health [constipation]

• barry-block

February 1, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I take Sinemet at 7AM and Fage Greek yogurt with peanut butter at 9 AM to avoid or minimize any protein conflict.

• lyn-richards

February 3, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Hi Ed, I have a couple of thoughts about that. First, I agree with Daniel that we need the probiotics in yogurt for our gut health — of course that has to be plain yogurt without sugar or fruit stirred in — and we need protein to maintain our muscles for strength and balance as we age, especially with PD.

And I agree with Barry that the major issue with protein and levodopa can be avoided by scheduling. Some research suggests that the protein issue only matters for those with a genetic component to their PD, but I know it affects me & I don’t have any family members with PD.

A dietitian explained at a local conference that with PD we really need to wait at least 2 hours after a meal before taking meds, and longer if the meal has a higher fat and protein content — partly because these are more slowly digested, and partly because (I think she said) fats delay stomach emptying — which is already slow due to the effect of PD on the GI tract! BTW, the amount of protein in Greek yogurt is still minimal compared with any kind of meat — about 10 grams for 100 grams of yogurt compared with 22-26 grams for the same amount of fish or meat.

The same dietitian explained that there is a problem with regular dairy products and PD, but A2 dairy products made with milk from Jersey cows are okay. Here in the southern interior of British Columbia I’ve found sources for yogurt and cheese made from Jersey cow milk as well as A2 milk. I have to go to another town for the yogurt & cheese, but I think it’s worth it.