• Yoga and Parkinson’s

Posted by ally on November 15, 2018 at 9:20 pm

I’ll admit, I didn’t initially think yoga was a good fit for people living with Parkinson’s, but according to the American Parkinson Disease Association, yoga therapy has been shown to visibly reduce tremors and improve the steadiness of an individual’s gait.

Yoga is one of the most beneficial complementary therapies for Parkinson’s disease, helping to increase flexibility; improve posture; loosen tight, painful muscles; build (or rebuild) confidence; and, through these benefits, enhance quality of life.

Have you tried yoga since being diagnosed with PD? What was it like for you? Did you enjoy it? Was yoga part of your wellness routine pre-diagnosis too?

ally replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 16, 2018 at 7:18 am

I took up yoga 1o years ago before my PD diagnosis. It took me a while to find an instructor I connected with.  I do not like yoga classes where the same moves are repeated over and over.  I bore easily and prefer a different class than the last one.  It is a trial and error process. Not all yoga classes are alike.  The benefits of yoga are wonderful, it is calming and meditative and also helps with balance.  Yoga breath work is also very beneficial

• ally

November 16, 2018 at 11:57 am

I couldn’t agree more, Jean. I really struggle to make it to yoga sometimes — I often feel like it isn’t enough of a workout but I’m always glad when I go. Even if my body doesn’t feel as “worked out” as after a typical strength training session, my mind always feels 100% clearer and calmer. Sometimes I’ve even fallen asleep at the end of a class because I’m so relaxed!