Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise What’s the most effective exercise routine for PD?

• Leslie

January 21, 2022 at 8:15 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I was diagnosed in 2007 at the age of 50 by a neurologist. Exercise was not mentioned to me. I had tried different exercise program just to try to stay healthy. I was very inconsistent because after a day of teaching  moderately to profoundly mentally & physically disabled children I was physically & emotionally exhausted & had brain fog. From 2007-2013 I had a multitude of health issues & life events that interfered with my exercising program. All that to say I was extremely behind in exercising. We did buy an expensive motorized stationary recumbent bike that was developed but 2 avid cyclists . One of which began having trouble staying with te group due to PD. So he & his buddy bought a bicycle for 2. Before they went on their ride his PD symptoms were  pretty bad, but after the ride they were hardly noticeable. Even though though there were time that his buddy was doing all the work. This prompted them to do a study which they concluded that forced exercise is beneficial. I tried multiple time to be consistent but between 2 knee replacements & back problems, I just couldn’t make it happen.I’m the last 2 yrs I’ve tried to attend  PD sitting exercise class, but again due to other health issues have not been consistent. I never give up. I go when I can& do what i can.</p>
    Stretching with my husband’s help every morning has done wonders for the frequency & pain of contractures.

• Debbie Lucchesi

January 25, 2022 at 6:38 pm

I am a personal trainer and have had PD for 8 years .  I have done extensive research and for myself and some of my clients that have the disease , spin classes and strength training have been extremely beneficial in minimizing some of the symptoms. My balance is great because my core and legs are strong . I teach spin classes and the cardio for that has also helped . I have been active longer than the initial diagnosis so I think I definitely was ahead of the game. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions

Page 2 of 2