Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ What is your least favorite part of caregiving?

Tagged: ,

• What is your least favorite part of caregiving?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on September 23, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Caregiving is a 24 hour job. While many moments are filled to the brim with joy and gratitude, some moments are extremely tough. For me, it’s very difficult to hear my Dad’s speech slowing. He does a great job of raising his voice so we can hear him. But it takes conscious effort. What is your least favorite part of caregiving? Have you found ways to make it easier for yourself and your loved one?

Mary Beth Skylis replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Renée Osborne

September 24, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Watching the transformation of my husband – a strong-willed and very independent business owner become a slow-moving and humble elderly man. So sad!  His loss of enthusiasm for conversation, debating, quietness. I would love to see and hear him laugh like he used to. I miss the intimacy of all our special moments. I am thankful for the best memories of my life.

• Mary Beth Skylis

September 28, 2020 at 8:16 am

I’m sorry that you’re experiencing this, Renee. I’ve been watching my Dad decline, too. And I’m so grateful to have him in my life. But it is incredibly hard to see a loss of independence and ability.