• What is the most recent thing you learned about Parkinson’s?

Posted by Ally on November 22, 2019 at 5:55 pm

We acquire new information about ourselves and the world around us every day, including Parkinson’s. What is something you learned about the disease very recently? How did you learn it? Has that learning change your life or outlook in any way?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Dan

November 22, 2019 at 10:51 pm

Today, my Dr. told me about a potential under the tongue preparation that may soon be available? There is a lot of activity in the PD meds arena….

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 23, 2019 at 7:35 am

dan, from your lips to God’s ears…

• Dan Freedman

November 26, 2019 at 9:51 am

I learned that tears contain biomarkers that can detect PD. I’m hopeful that this means PD can be detected years before symptoms emerge, which may help people protect their own neurons via exercise, etc., and lengthen the time between this kind of diagnosis and the emergence of symptoms.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 26, 2019 at 2:03 pm

dan, i believe forewarned is fore armed… it seems like so much  money is spent on  research for a cure or halting progression and no progress seems to be made.  we hear about advances like you mentioned and nothing seems to come of it.

• Carol Rothfeld

November 26, 2019 at 2:30 pm

I learned through a study with 23andme that I have the gene mutations for LRRK2 and GBA. My daughter who doesn’t have PD was tested and has the mutated genes also.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 27, 2019 at 9:16 am

carol, i am sorry to hear your daughter has the mutated genes. it must be tough to handle…. i dont know if  it is better that ignorance is bliss, or being forewarned and fore armed