Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ What is the most challenging aspect of caregiving?

• Karen

October 22, 2020 at 2:29 pm

I find that the the mood or personality swings are the hardest. We don’t see the person that we know and love very often, not even once a day. This is one of the hardest parts.

• Ally

October 22, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Karen, that is so hard. What do you do when the person in your life lashes out or acts differently? What supports are in place for you? Sending you a virtual hug.

• Mary Beth Skylis

October 23, 2020 at 10:50 am

As someone who doesn’t live near my Dad (diagnosed in 2013), I find it really difficult to continuously see his decline. His spirits are generally high, and he gives himself mini-jobs to stay occupied. But I find it really hard to see his gradual loss of independence.

• Thomas Casten

October 27, 2020 at 4:52 pm

I worry about how to help my wife keep dealing with bills, conversations, and problem solving in a way that does not constantly remind her of the cognitive difficulty problems she faces.  It would often be faster to do the task myself, or tell the story myself than helping her complete the task, but at what cost to her self-esteem.

Tom