Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s What have you done in your home to prevent falls?

• What have you done in your home to prevent falls?

Posted by Deleted User on August 10, 2018 at 9:23 am

I live in a  retirement community so my home is designed with support bars in the bathroom which I believe are critical for providing support and fall prevention.  I also have done  or do the following:

1. Removed throw rugs.
    2. Covered a stool with towels and put it between toilet bowl and wall so I have something to lean on.
    3. Turn on the light and fully open my eyes when going to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
    4. Lay a rolled towel on the rim of the shower stall so if I fall on it, it will not cut me.
    5. Keep my cell phone by the bed.

My first fall was a real eye opener for me.  Read more about my falling episode at:

https://slippedawayblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/fallen/

Ally replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Kelvin James

August 24, 2018 at 7:43 am

Having worked at a center where we take care of the aged, people with dementia, PD and Alzheimer’s, we do the following:

-Install safety bed rails

-Installed motion sensors in the patient’s room so that caregiver can quickly rush when patient wakes up

– Safety rails in bathroom

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 24, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Once again, Kelvin, your feedback, especially coming from someone who is experienced dealing with the aged and those dealing with neurological symptoms, is greatly appreciated.  I like the motion sensor  option!

• Katie Garcia

August 31, 2018 at 7:54 am

Fall prevention is one of the most important issues regarding the health of the senior generation. Some tips are:

– The senior’s home should be checked for loose carpets, the house should be cleaned and organized and seniors should look down once in a while to see if they’re walking on uneven surface.

– When it comes to poor vision, the elderly should see to it that the house or his room is well lighted and that he or she is wearing the correct prescription lens.

– If the senior uses a cane or a medical walker, he or she should see to it that his or her mobility device is of the correct height, supports his weight, and is easy and comfortable to use.

Fall prevention shouldn’t only be learned by seniors, it should be the concern of anyone who lives or is a senior caregiver. This ensures that our seniors can still enjoy and live a quality life in that advanced age they have. Visit to assisted living Morris County for more info!

• Ally

September 28, 2018 at 9:54 am

Hi Katie, thanks for your helpful suggestions! My name is Ally and I’m one of the forum moderators. What brings you to this forum? Are you a patient, caregiver or researcher? I would love to hear more from you. Thank you for being a part of this community!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 31, 2018 at 8:26 am

Thank you Katie for your excellent suggestions!