Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s Tips to Stay Fit During COVID-19 Isolation

• Tips to Stay Fit During COVID-19 Isolation

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 30, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe out there.

My name is Kevin Schaefer, and I’m the Forums Director for this site’s parent company. I don’t have Parkinson’s, but I have another rare disease called spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). You can read about my life and experiences in my column here.

As someone who is also a high-risk patient, I have a lot of concerns for my health during this Coronavirus pandemic as well. However, I really like Mary Beth’s latest column about staying fit during isolation. I know that for me and many others, I won’t be able to go to my physical therapy appointments for a while. I’m trying to do some basic exercises in my wheelchair and still eat healthy, but I’m happy to get tips like this.

What about you all? Do you have any tips for staying fit during lockdown?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • mary-klein-john-klein

March 30, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Our Rock Steady Fitness instructor has arranged at-home classes, through Zoom, three times a week for all participants.  We probably had our first class today.  It ran for the full hour at the same time we would generally be at the gym together.  It was encouraging to see how many joined in – pretty much the entire class.  Lots of waves and laughs along the way.  Great idea for staying connected during this unique time in everyone’s lives.

• kevin-schaefer

Administrator
    March 31, 2020 at 10:08 am

Great idea! Glad a lot of people joined. Yeah I’ve been using Zoom for conference calls at work. It’s a great software for things like this.