• The power of perspective

Posted by Ally on January 21, 2021 at 4:31 pm

We all have good and bad days, that’s normal. If I’m honest, today hasn’t been great. I can’t even put my finger on why exactly it’s been a tough day, but it has been. I’m trying really hard to change my perspective. I’ve written down some things I’m grateful for and some prayer requests for people I know who are struggling, but I still feel kinda crappy.

Does anyone have any tips for turning a bad day around or getting a new perspective when things don’t feel super awesome?

Ally replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jack Waller

January 25, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Hello fellow Parkies and care partners!

We have been on this journey for 11 years. Ken(the Parkie) says he has his good days and his bad days, and the bad days take care of themself.

We ought to have started this earlier, but better late than never!

https://www.parkinsonsocietynovascotia.com/

• Ally

January 26, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Thank you for sharing, Jack and Ken! 🙂

• Daniel Best

January 26, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Taking a long walk is my last resort fall-back even though it can be hard to get out the door

• Ally

January 26, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Solid advice, Daniel. Today I went for a very short walk along Lake Ontario. It was snowing and the sky was dark, but the sight and sound of waves crashing on the beach and the fresh air helped me clear my head and get a small boost of energy nonetheless. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes the simplest solutions are the most effective.

• RicH

January 26, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Great question, Katy—because we all struggle! I’ll pass on two things that help me.

1. Sunshine and warmth. Problem is, it seems constantly cloudy and cold lately (literally and maybe figuratively?). So on the days like that, I picture what’s beyond and above the clouds: blazing sun, blue skies, and warmth. I’ve found myself on cloudy day walks staring up and thinking to the  sun I KNOW YOU’RE UP THERE AND I’LL SEE YOU AS SOON AS I CAN!

Stupid? Yeah, kind of. But it’s about trying to flip the script. I want sun. And I get clouds. But I focus on the sun anyway.

2. Music! Always, every day, music. I’ve found that even just 15 minutes of music I love can re-orient me faster than anything. That may not be your thing… but what do you enjoy on a daily basis?

Good luck!

• Ally

January 26, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Thank you, Rich, these are great tips! It’s funny, I’m not listening to much music these days – mostly podcasts and audiobooks. I think switching it up with some upbeat tunes could really help! Sunshine is always a plus and I love the idea of talking to the sun beyond the clouds – that’s not silly at all! Your post made me smile on another gloomy day. Thank you. 🙂