Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Swimming + Parkinson's disease

• Swimming + Parkinson's disease

Posted by ally on August 7, 2019 at 10:13 am

Swimming is probably my favourite form of exercise. I love swimming laps — it’s easy on my joints and I find it to be very meditative. I can’t listen to a music or podcast so it’s a relatively peaceful/contemplative experience. Do you enjoy swimming? Has PD affected your ability to swim or confidence in the water at all? Do you like swimming laps or do you prefer floating around in the water?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • claudio

August 10, 2019 at 5:15 am

I enjoy swimming. Unfortunately since I got the PD, I can’t swim as I did before (until my age of 59 I used to swim 40 50 mts laps, no stop, mostly crawl). Now, almost 65, diagn. 4 1/2 yrs ago, even when covered from L/C, I can’t swim more than 10 15 mts laps no stop.
    What is your swimming routine? Do you know of anyone with PD that can  swim even if  he’s OFF? Have you got any tricks to regain good rythm if s.o. got PD?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      August 12, 2019 at 5:13 pm

hi claudio,

thanks for sharing…  i relate to how ou feel.  i used to be able to bike 30 miles no problem, now i am lucky if i can bike 3 miles 🙁  perhaps you can post your question on the exercise forum to see if anyone else is a swimmer you can compare notes with.