Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Resources for folks with PD who have no care partner

• Resources for folks with PD who have no care partner

Posted by cstruby on May 26, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Hi, all! I’m a new member.  I’m also a care partner and do a daily emailed newsletter to 250+ folks with PD, care partners and interested people in 8 states. Have had a request to do an issue on Singles with PD, who have no care partners. My request came from a woman who is fighting the PD battle alone and wants to know how singles cope. Aside from support groups, how do singles plan for the future when there is no caregiver possibility in sight? What resources have you found helpful? She is correct: There are limited resources out there that I’ve neen able to find…so I’d love your input! Thank you in advance.

cstruby replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jacque-walston

May 28, 2020 at 6:04 pm

I am z 72 yr old single woman whose Parkinson’s was diagnosed six years ago. Having no caregiver is one of my biggest concerns. Fortunately, my symptoms are progressing slowly, but that doesn’t change the fact that I live alone.

One of the things I have done is taken a few very close friends into confidence giving them information of my future wishes as my disease progresses. I am slowly making changes to my home so that I can stay here comfortably for as long as I can. I have researched organizations in the area who can provide services, such as housekeeping, transportation nutrition. Many of my friends know my diagnosis and have expressed willingness to help if needed, and I plan on calling on them. At least that will keep me at home until I require hospitalization. The day to day moral support I just have to do myself.

• cstruby

June 19, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Thank you, Jacque! You have given me some good ideas. Also, love your name….Have a friend who spells it like you do!