Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Personal growth and Parkinson’s

Tagged: ,

• Personal growth and Parkinson’s

Posted by ally on May 23, 2023 at 6:58 pm

Living with Parkinson’s is definitely not without its challenges, but it also presents some opportunities to grow – if we’re willing and open to it.

How do you think you have grown or changed since you were first diagnosed?

ally replied 9 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • toni-shapiro

May 26, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Hi Ally, Thank you for this post. Although it is without saying that I would rather not have PD I have learned a number of things, many positive, about myself that I would not have know otherwise. I am more aware than ever about my privilege and sad that not everyone in the world has access to things that I have that makes living with this disease easier. I have the resources to get the best care, I live in the best country in a wonderful place by the sea, I have the love and support of my husband who has been so helpful to me as well as family and friends. I have a counselor who is also a medical professional specializing in Parkinson’s as well as a neurologist who is part of a movement disorder clinic that involves PT,OT, Speech professionals that provide free services when needed. Even though I am by nature a grateful person, since my diagnosis I I constantly embrace this and feel the stronger for it. I have most every PD symptom, known and lesser known but there are many things out there that are so much worse so I continue to be thankful. This doesn’t mean that I don’t ever complain or live in denial. I know full well what a challenge PD is. Before PD I would never have known any of this about myself in crisis nor would I have the experience of my body and my brain having limits and how people look at me as a disabled person. I have a keen interest in the complicated workings of PD which has lead me to learning many things PD related and not that I would not have known.

• ally

June 2, 2023 at 5:05 pm

Thank you for sharing, Toni. Your post lifted my spirits and reminded me to be grateful for the many of simple but great things I have going on in my own life. Thank you for the reminder that our perspective has a major part to play in how we feel about our circumstances. <3

• troy

May 28, 2023 at 4:03 pm

Hi Ally, I’m learning to be more contented with reality as it is, rather than striving for reality as I’d like it to be. Since I can only control how I respond to PD, I’m learning to apply this rule of reaction to all elements of my life; even the things I can (and sometimes will) change. If I can be content with my body (reality) while having PD, then I can learn to be content with most other things, if I choose to.

• ally

June 2, 2023 at 5:07 pm

Thank you for your reply, Troy. Finding contentedness in challenging circumstances isn’t always easy, but it is worth striving for. Do you have any advice for others (like me!) who are seeking to get better at doing this?

• troy

June 4, 2023 at 12:21 pm

Hi Ally,

As a minister serving as a chaplain in an ecumenical and secular context, I feel like I’ve read a zillion texts on the topic. All have inspired me as I strive for contentedness as part of a healthy spiritual life. But frustration always follows when my inspiration does not translate into doing and then into fruit. And so, I have learned (for myself) that I have to deliberately, moment by moment, choose to accept a situation as it is (deep breath and jump to the final stage of grief -acceptance- immediately!). I might work to improve the situation, but as soon as my aversion to the situation or the end goal (improved situation) becomes an attachment, I’m toast. It’s an ongoing battle between me and my tendencies (which existed before PD was dropped into the mix). It’s easier said than done, but it can be done. Or so they tell me 🙂

• ally

June 15, 2023 at 3:34 pm

Thank you for sharing, Troy. I can definitely appreciate how this approach is easier said than done, but certainly worth it. Thank you for sharing your experience and reminding me  that it is possible to be content in all life’s weird, wacky and wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) circumstances.